+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from London!

I'm Charlie.

Default Hello from London!

Hi there!

My name is Charlie and I'm from London - I thought that it was time to bite the bullet and sign up to the forum rather than just browsing!

My system is currently in a state of change while I upgrade from the relatively basic Rega system I have had for the past ten years (very kindly gifted to me by my dad!). Currently:

Rega P2 (TD124 on the way).
    TAG 125M Monoblocks
    TAG AV32r preamp
    Rega R7 speakers

Thanks all!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Charlie. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what equipment you are thinking of upgrading to.

If you want opinions on potential purchases, I'm sure our members will be happy to chip in.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Grant.

hi charlie; welcome to AoS. Always fun building up a system. hope you enjoy the facilities.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Charlie.

Thanks, Geoff and Grant!

I listen to all sorts of music... A sample of the genres would be: classic rock, psych, funk/soul, folk, traditional middle eastern, quite a bit of 70s African stuff, occassionally hip hop... Hard to pin it down to one thing really! All listened to on vinyl - I don't own any CDs or a CD player, so that's one piece of equipment I don't have to worry about!

I am lucky enough to have a pretty big room at home, and have been leaning towards starting out with a pair of big Tannoys (probably Mk1 Ardens) as the speakers. I have read quite a few things about them, and been given some sensible advice about the various problems/issues with the big 15" HPDs, but it seems like they would, for the price involved, be a pretty great place to start! Now I just need to find a decent pair at a reasonable price!

In terms of an amp for the speakers, I have long been considering a classic British valve amp from the 50s/60s/70s, but there are obviously all sorts of issues with the condition of such amps, and getting them repaired. I was recently pointed in the direction of Radford Revival, whose amps look like they might give me the best of both worlds - classic valve tech and sound but with modern reliability! Think I am going to get in touch with the guys at RR and see if I can have a listen!

I will then need a pre-amp, and haven't got quite such a settled view on that... Something British built and valve sounds good. People have mentioned the EAR pre-amps as an option...

Any thoughts or advice would of course be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Charlie

I'm Grant.

geoffs your man for tannoys
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    geoffs your man for tannoys
    Well I know a bit .

The fifteen inch Tannoys are good.

Bear in mind that the cone surrounds on the 15" HPD can need replacing maybe every ten years or so, some last longer. The surrounds can be replaced by a competent and patient person, but most people opt for entire cone replacement, usually done by Lockwood Audio.

The 15" Monitor Gold has doped, pleated paper cone surrounds, that seem to last more or less indefinitely. Used in the the York speaker, being the model preceding the Amesbury (which also uses HPD's) and followed by the Arden. Each of these speakers being around the same size.

All of these models are worthy enough. The Gold having slightly less extended bass (but still plenty). The York and Amesbury cabinets really need extra internal bracing to bring them up to a decent modern(ish) standard. An easy enough job.

Oh. And the Radford Revival STA 25 would be very nice with any of those. An EAR pre-amp might be good. I'd personally be interested in hearing a good TVC unit with the STA 25, could work nicely.

I'm Charlie.

Cheers, both!

Yes, I think I would probably have to get the HPDs reconed by Lockwoods, so I guess looking at another £500 on top of whatever I pick them up for... I have also had some solid advice on making sure that I avoid a pair of driver units put together shortly after the move to Coatbridge (until quality control got up to scratch again...). I think that my difficulty will be finding a pair that are for sale at a reasonable price... The only ones I can find for sale in the UK at the moment are asking what I think are OTT prices (£2.5k)... I suspect that it is a waiting game, unless anyone here has a pair they are looking to offload!!

The STA100s that several forum members are having built look amazing, but provided the STA25 can handle the 15" drivers (which I suspect they would have no problem with), I suspect that I am looking at getting a STA25 for now (unless I win the lottery or discover a pot of gold etc...). The RR STA25s look like they are really beautifully built with real care and attention, and all the reports about them seem full of praise! Really great to have been pointed in their direction.

I will have an ask around and see what else owners of the STA25 use as their preamps!

Thank you for all the thoughts!

I'm Geoff.

Currently, I'm actually using the scarce Tannoy Cheviot Mk.II speakers with the rather less 'fashionable' ceramic magnet 3128 dual concentric driver. They sound absolutely superb, easily as good as any other model I've heard and that's nearly all the classics. Any of the Mk.II series are very well worth a listen and are priced more reasonably than the HPD's (so far..........it won't last).

Here's the Arden Mk.II. Distinguished by the 'quartic' shaped driver chassis front instead of the round one on the Gold and HPD.

I'm Josie.

Welcome in, Charlie

I've had a Woodisde STA25, very nice amp. And with 15" drivers your probably looking at the last amp you will buy

Enjoy!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Edward.

Hello Charlie

I can vouch for the Radford Revival STA25 and indeed for the folks at Radford Revival. The STA25 drives all speakers I've tried very well. Currently driving some Tannoy Eatons and Kef Corellis. The STA25 is very flexible on preamps.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast