+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Quality 8 way distribution block

I'm notAlone.

Either the home insurance covers the damage (you have to look in your contract) or the mains surges' maker does (you have to look for the amount, which depends on the model). Belkin has a 25k€ for their AMC models.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I once bought an Olson "Sounds Fantastic" mains block (see http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/ ). Needless to say, it did not sound even remotely fantastic - it was improved by removing the in-line filter module, then further by ditching the screened mains cable, then finally by ditching the internal wiring for solid core 1.5mm copper in PTFE tubing. In other words, Olson sell a really good basic distribution block, but do wire it yourself. Don't buy the ready-made product!
    I use an Olson industrial 6-way distribution board. I replace the mains lead and removed the switch/neon. The Schaffner FN 343-10/5 filter block has been retained as well as the varistor surge protector. The sockets are not star earthed - despite being favoured by some people, I don't think star earthing is that important for mains supplies.

This present arrangement is better than the old Duraplug board I used to use, but I have to say that I am fortunate that the mains here is pretty good. I have the use of a 1.5kW Claude-Lyons mains conditioner, however I don't use it as it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Regards
    Barry

I must say I am concerned about the damage a surge could do. say there is a power cut and you are not in a position to switch the power block feeding TV, AMP etc off at the wall. When the power comes back on is that not considered a surge as well.

The RA Yellow power block I have contains a superclamp which looks like a small diode of some description. I dont know anything about these things but it looks tiny and wonder about its effectiveness in a surge. Mine is 10 years old now and apparently the superclamp should be replaced.
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

Surge protectors, also known as varistors or VDRs (voltage dependant resistors) look like:

When power is restored following a power cut, the restoration is arranged to occur as the mains cycle passes through the zero voltage point. That way the 'surge' is minimised and should not be a concern.

The surge protectors are there to deal with the occasional high voltage spikes that can be caused by a variety of reasons.

Regards
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Indeed.If it's a concern for you,fit those on the back of the IEC sockets on all your kit.Alternatively,just make sure your insurance covers new for old!

Do they wear out then as apparently the superclamp fitted in the plug does according to RA and looks the same as the one pictured above.
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

Paul,

The quick answer to you question is yes they do. However to wear out they will have had to have been exposed to many overvoltage spikes.

If you are interested, have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

Regards
    Barry

Thanks Barry.
    Paul

Marks two tier mains blocks will be up on the site on Tuesday 6th. Roll on Tuesday

Dont suppose Mark would care to spill the beans this weekend to TAS folks.
    Paul

Any news on Marks mains blocks and how do they stack up with the likes of the missing links?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast