+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello I'm a new member

I'm Jonathan.

Default Hello I'm a new member

I'm new to the Forum and this is my introduction of myself in the Welcome Area. This forum appeals to me because of my love of music, which in turn drives an active interest in hifi equipment. I've noticed already how much amazing knowledge there is among members - both about many varieties of music and also about hifi equipment. My own musical interests are mainly in opera (I sometimes write programme articles on operas in performance), but in many other kinds of classical music as well - of late years, modern and experimental classical music especially. I like jazz too, especially if I can hear it live.
    I live in North London mainly and am retired. But my wife still works, so we keep a small flat near her job, which she could not commute to easily on a daily basis from our London home. Hence two hifi systems; a main one at home, and a second system for the home-away-from home. My main system - preamp and amp at any rate - is old 1990s Krell, which it would be way too expensive to replace with anything of equivalent musical quality. But it has its down sides: in particular a massive amplifier, which can trip the circuit if turned on too fast. (I understand there are such things as dedicated circuits that electricians can run up, but probably this would be an expense too far for me.) My second system is the one I tend to chop and change. I've just sold some old Leak valve mono blocks, and would prefer something more modern and less prone to faults - probably solid state but not necessarily, because both my wife and I love the valve sound (and look). My preamp in that second system is a classic Sansui CA 2000, which worked beautifully with the Leaks. I'm now looking for something else to partner it with, which needn't be too powerful because our living room there is not large. I've just bought on Ebay some Sonus Faber Concertino Domus speakers for that system, together with dedicated stands, to replace a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s.
    I look forward to interaction with other members of the forum. All best wishes in anticipation, JonathanW

I'm Geoff.

Hi Jonathan. Wewlcome to AOS.

You could get opnions here about finding a 'slow start' for your Krell amplifier, I'm sure there should be an economical solution out there.

Your Leak amps should be reliable enough. A good service could be all they need for another twenty years or so of enjoyment. I'm sure they'd be worth hanging onto.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Grant.

hi Johnathan, great write up. good to hear you intend joining in the discussions
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

System 1 (Living Room) : AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Marantz CD7 CD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Audio Mystra DAC + HP laptop + iFi Audio i power, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Nakamichi CR5e tape deck, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Atlas Mavros, Audience AU24, Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2 (Music Room) : Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi Audio i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Audience AU24, XLO Type6. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Welcome to AOS Jonathan!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

We Send our kids to school to be Educated, not Medicated!

I'm Shaun.

Welcome to you Jonathan. I see you have sold your Leaks for something more modern. I can understand why. There are so many nice modern valve amps out there to choose from. Here's hoping your stay here is a very pleasant one.
    CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXC CD TRANSPORT INTO AUDIOLAB M-DAC - PRIMA LUNA PROLOGUE THREE PREAMP - PRIMA LUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM POWER AMP - SPENDOR S3/5R2 LOUDSPEAKERS - ATLAS HYPER INTERCONNECTS - TELLURIUM Q BLUE LOUDSPEAKER CABLES - ATACAMA STANDS - PRO-JECT SUPPORT PLINTH

I'm Lawrence.

What opera do you like? I like anything up to Mozart and a little beyond, my favourite vocal music is probably Handel's English oratorios though. Classical music tastes are similar though I also like English music of the late 19th/first half of the 20th century. Plus random things like Schoenberg's Verklate Nacht and Fratres by Arvo Part.

I'm Jerry.

Hi Jonathan

Nice to see you here.

-- I suggested Jonathan might like to join up here after some exchanged messages on eBay!

Feel free to join in the Classical "what are you listening to?" section -- http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rsion)/page173
    The more the merrier.
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, SMSL M8 DAC + L-PSU, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Josie.

Hi Johnathan.

Welcome to AOS...

Enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread