+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another scratchy itch

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Lovely looking guitar Paul

I've got an American Strat which is nice as well as another Strat.. however I stopped taking lessons last summer and just thinking that I should take it up again...
    Either lessons or you tube,masses of tuition there. I'm looking at drop tuning, I know some tunings but found much more and you can still use the same chord shapes and get some nice sounds. Check out Matt smith open D tuning. Quite a character.
    One thing leads to another and I found a guy that showed how to play a guitar solo on one fret, key of a minor, playing up and down the 5th fret, then 5th to 4th fret up and down all strings, then 7th to 5th fret up and down. So simple but impressive, like jazz guitar. I've been playing 49 years and looking at what's on you tube I know nothing. So time to learn new things and a new guitar always brings motivation
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Either lessons or you tube,masses of tuition there. I'm looking at drop tuning, I know some tunings but found much more and you can still use the same chord shapes and get some nice sounds. Check out Matt smith open D tuning. Quite a character.
    One thing leads to another and I found a guy that showed how to play a guitar solo on one fret, key of a minor, playing up and down the 5th fret, then 5th to 4th fret up and down all strings, then 7th to 5th fret up and down. So simple but impressive, like jazz guitar. I've been playing 49 years and looking at what's on you tube I know nothing. So time to learn new things and a new guitar always brings motivation
    Thanks for the info Paul I will take a look..

I quite enjoyed my one-to-one lessons to be honest but found that I didn't practice enough in between each lesson

I will probably go back to lessons some time this year...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

My 'scratchy itch' at the moment is a pair of Magneplanar 1.7i speakers

They are 'reasonably' priced but I just don't know whether to go for them or not..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    My 'scratchy itch' at the moment is a pair of Magneplanar 1.7i speakers

They are 'reasonably' priced but I just don't know whether to go for them or not..
    If they are easy to get delivered/picked up and the price is good, you could always move them on if not to your taste.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Russell.

A nice purchase Paul! Beautiful guitar! I dabble in Luthery here and there, mostly for myself and friends. But my itch right now is a Yamaha BX-1 bass. They used to be rare as hens teeth! But now I see several on eBay, all in Japan, one in Russia. The price is Ok, I’m just a bit leery to buy from so far away. (I’m in Virginia, USA) Do you have any experience buying guitars from Japan and other far away places? Am I right to worry? Or should I pull the trigger and buy one? They were only made for a few years back in the 80’s, so there aren’t that many around anymore.

Russell

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    A nice purchase Paul! Beautiful guitar! I dabble in Luthery here and there, mostly for myself and friends. But my itch right now is a Yamaha BX-1 bass. They used to be rare as hens teeth! But now I see several on eBay, all in Japan, one in Russia. The price is Ok, I’m just a bit leery to buy from so far away. (I’m in Virginia, USA) Do you have any experience buying guitars from Japan and other far away places? Am I right to worry? Or should I pull the trigger and buy one? They were only made for a few years back in the 80’s, so there aren’t that many around anymore.

Russell
    Maybe I've been lucky as everything I've bought has arrived in good order. I bought a fret less bass from Dave Bauer of unorthodox guitars in Fort Wayne Indiana, I did insist he put it in a hard case I paid extra for. I recently sent it to Scotland and it arrived fine. My Denon dp80 came from Japan and only the strobe light didn't work. I've bought several guitars and had them posted.

I'm Russell.

Maybe I've been lucky as everything I've bought has arrived in good order. I bought a fret less bass from Dave Bauer of unorthodox guitars in Fort Wayne Indiana, I did insist he put it in a hard case I paid extra for. I recently sent it to Scotland and it arrived fine. My Denon dp80 came from Japan and only the strobe light didn't work. I've bought several guitars and had them posted.
    The only one of these BX-1’s that has a factory case is the one in Russia. I may have to go for it, $800 is a lot of money but EBay does say it’s protected by them. I once bought a model train through eBay and the seller died! It took several months, but I did eventually get my money back.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

The only one of these BX-1’s that has a factory case is the one in Russia. I may have to go for it, $800 is a lot of money but EBay does say it’s protected by them. I once bought a model train through eBay and the seller died! It took several months, but I did eventually get my money back.

Russell

I had some carburetors for sale for a ford sidevalve and a fella in Ireland wanted to buy them, he telephoned me and we had a long chat about his racing and that he was still racing in his seventies, he said he would send me a cheque but I never got it. I e mailed him but no reply. I do wonder if something happened to him as he was a very nice man and had said if I wanted any advice to contact him. On the bass, couldn't you get a cheaper one and ask the seller to get a case for it and pay for the case, if it works out cheaper.

I'm paul.

Russell

just to say I bought my Stax tone arm from Russia, no problems at all

I'm Russell.

I had some carburetors for sale for a ford sidevalve and a fella in Ireland wanted to buy them, he telephoned me and we had a long chat about his racing and that he was still racing in his seventies, he said he would send me a cheque but I never got it. I e mailed him but no reply. I do wonder if something happened to him as he was a very nice man and had said if I wanted any advice to contact him. On the bass, couldn't you get a cheaper one and ask the seller to get a case for it and pay for the case, if it works out cheaper.
    It’s a shame but once you’re up in your 70’s things can happen. Just a fact of life.

All of the BX-1’s are about the same price, within a hundred or so. $750 to $850 including shipping. And the issue is, this bass was only made for two years in 1985 and 86, the narrow case made for it is far more rare than the guitar. The one is Russia includes the case, with the Yamaha badge on it. It may be difficult to find a narrow case like that, most all aftermarket cases are designed around the P Bass or Jazz Bass shape. A few of the Japanese sellers concern me, one I see has pumped up his own feedback by buying $0.06 cent bags of tea from himself, creating a hundred positive feedbacks. Another posted pics of two different basses, accidentally included a photo of a bass being sold by another seller! The only difference being the knobs and string locks. I emailed him and asked which one he was selling, no response. I often send a message with a silly question just to see how the seller responds. If he blows it off and does not respond, I don’t want to do business with him.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast