+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Over-priced cables - it's not just hi-fi!

I'm Adam.

Default Over-priced cables - it's not just hi-fi!

Below is a picture of two cables. Both are 9W to 9W serial data leads and both are wired one to one.

One of them came from CPC and cost around £3. One was purchased from a manufacturer of high voltage DC power supplies and is used to link two of their supplies together - no details were given at the time of purchase but we were led to believe it's a very special lead. And the cost of this one? I hope you're sitting down - £230!!!!!

Cables by ADAM SMITH, on Flickr
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

It's obvious. The maker of the cheap item has pinched the design from the premium cable.

I'm Shane.

Popcorn time!

S.

I'm paul.

The expensive one has a twist tie
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Alan.

Spare part rip-off time. BIG time.

I'm James.

The very slightly different coloured one is clearly the better more expensive one
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Clearly the longer cable on the left is the more expensive of the two. It was probably assembled under the light of a full moon by virgin assembly line workers, blessed by the Dali Lama, cryo-cooled, demagnetised and then burnt in for two months.
    Barry

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    The very slightly different coloured one is clearly the better more expensive one
    That makes either of them the more expensive cable, now it's getting confusing
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Dave.

The expensive one will come in a very nice box, supported by a lot of BS and with rave reviews in the mags. Well worth the extra..

Seriously, I have seen the import prices of many highly touted incons and speaker cables which cost the distributor/manufacturer just a couple of $ per mtr and the consumer ends up paying hundreds of Pounds. Packaging and BS account for the vast majority of the price.

+ Reply to Thread