+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who's got Schiit ? (apologies)

I'm Pavel.

In my opinion, the Saga offers terrific value for money.

Buying a decent switch and a high-quality attenuator plus casing and connectors would probably cost the same or even more. If you buy Saga, you get a tube buffer stage and a remote control essentially for free.

If it had an additional fixed-level output for my headphone amp, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

I'm Richard.

I have both.
    Both are excellent.
    I just prefer the Schiit, if only because it has a (cheap) remote, more inputs, and a glowing valve that can be 'rolled' (silly term).

I will be selling the Tisbury soon...

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    ... a glowing valve that can be 'rolled' (silly term).
    At least valves are round - try rolling a chip!

montesquieu Guest

To Richard - the OP - any particular reason you feel the need to use a passive? Do you have a gain issue in your system?

I'm not a particular fan of passives myself though I have had marginally better results with a TVC than with resistor-based passives. The philosophy is appealing but I always feel actives in general give you more music, though accept that adding gain in some systems just causes issues, where the power amp is extremely sensitive for example. In such circumstances I tend to prefer a powered no-gain buffer like the Pass B1 though there are loads of other options for this too.

I'm gone.

The original Tisbury was a standard pot, but later versions used a stepped attenuator.

I'm gone.

I hadn't heard of the Schiit Saga, and I've been looking for a remote controlled passive pre for a while.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    To Richard - the OP - any particular reason you feel the need to use a passive? Do you have a gain issue in your system?

I'm not a particular fan of passives myself though I have had marginally better results with a TVC than with resistor-based passives. The philosophy is appealing but I always feel actives in general give you more music, though accept that adding gain in some systems just causes issues, where the power amp is extremely sensitive for example. In such circumstances I tend to prefer a powered no-gain buffer like the Pass B1 though there are loads of other options for this too.
    Hi Tom - thanks for the feedback.

I'm using a Musical Fidelity XA-2 Integrated and passing the pre-amp output to a Cyrus X-Power (my sons old amp). It provided a significant upgrade so I'm thinking that its time for a dedicated Passive to replace it and see if it can provide more the same - more detail, better bass and imaging. Thinking about what you said then I don't think I'll have gain issues or sensitivity issues from what I can see: Lounge Audio LCR MKIII/Ortofon 2M Bronze and Audiolab M-DAC. I'd like to think that combination is fairly neutral but not lean. The Schiit is a good fit to requirements with cost, size, inputs/outputs and remote. Plus it offers the possibility to add my MF X-Can V2 HP amp (and to play with the tube - many people report significant benefits with other tubes).

best regards, richard

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Hi Tom - thanks for the feedback.

I'm using a Musical Fidelity XA-2 Integrated and passing the pre-amp output to a Cyrus X-Power (my sons old amp). It provided a significant upgrade so I'm thinking that its time for a dedicated Passive to replace it and see if it can provide more the same - more detail, better bass and imaging. Thinking about what you said then I don't think I'll have gain issues or sensitivity issues from what I can see: Lounge Audio LCR MKIII/Ortofon 2M Bronze and Audiolab M-DAC. I'd like to think that combination is fairly neutral but not lean. The Schiit is a good fit to requirements with cost, size, inputs/outputs and remote. Plus it offers the possibility to add my MF X-Can V2 HP amp (and to play with the tube - many people report significant benefits with other tubes).

best regards, richard
    If it were me I'd also be looking to explore possible synergies with the matching Cyrus pre ... I like Cyrus gear I still have an ancient Cyrus One integrated kicking around.

For example this looks like a bit of a bargain and you could run your tube headphone amp off the tape-out https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22281302792...4961043&crdt=0
    Last edited by montesquieu; 10-02-2018 at 13:26.

I'm Rob.

I love my Schiit Saga. Transparent, convenient (remote control), splendid. One of my best Hi-Fi purchases.
    Rob.