+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's got Schiit ? (apologies)

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I specked my tissie with a stepper and fixed output to run a head amp.
    Do you mean a headphone amp?

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dare say, but there's not one in the Schitt Sys.
    Schiit's website says:
    "Relay Stepped Attenuator
    Most preamps—passive or active—use a potentiometer for volume control. There’s nothing wrong with this approach, but some pots can have channel imbalance at lower volume levels (so that one channel sounds louder than the other). Saga uses a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion. You can hear it clicking as you turn the volume up and down."

Here's the link:
    http://www.schiit.com/products/saga

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not on the basic Schitt Sys. That has a small Chinese pot. I own a Tisbury and that definitely uses a pot.

From Schiit's site (I just love that Brand name ) they say the Saga uses a >>

'Saga uses a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator for perfect channel matching and zero distortion. You can hear it clicking as you turn the volume up and down (relay-switched stepped attenuator with discrete thin-film resistors , 64 1dB steps) '

I'm richard.

Apologies Andrew, just unwittingly duplicated what you've said with a little extra detail. ..... (I hadn't refreshed the browser so missed a number of other replies too - whoops)

RothwellAudio Guest

^ no problem

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    ^ no problem
    Ta.

Suspecting that after a few days there may only be one or two members who see this and reply. Passive pre-amps do seem to be a lottery in my price range (and even up to £550+) unless you spend ££££ and therefore buy 'quality'. Then there's the matching issues too - which is another risk. Arrggghhh !!!

I'm Mike.

The Promitheus TVC that wee tee cee is selling would be worth buying, I've heard it in my system and it's superb. Only reason I didn't buy it was because I'm after a matching pre for my Primaluna valve amp.

I had a Tisbury and a BTE pre amp here at the same time as the Promitheus and it blew both of them away.

PS: I posted this before fully reading the thread and seeing that wee tee cee had already mentioned his Promitheus

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I have no direct experience of the Schiit or Tisbury, but I'm willing to bet that Schiit is a much bigger business than Tisbury and have a much bigger advertising buget and much bigger sales team, therefore you're likely to find more good reviews of the Schiit than the Tisbury. Does that mean it's actually better?
    The Schiit does give you a lot more to play with though, and has the advantage of a remote control. Still, somehow my instincts would steer my towards the Tisbury.
    Andrew, do you still build pre/ power amps?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Andrew, do you still build pre/ power amps?
    No, sorry, no pre/power amps at the moment. I'm concentrating on vinyl playback stuff - phonostages, SUTs and headamps - and trying not to spread myself too thinly.

I'm Simon.

The Tisbury definitely uses a stepped attenuator, I had one in my system for about 8 months last year.

If budget allows, definitely check the Schiit out. I almost purchased a Saga myself but ended up getting a custom passive built by Jez Arkless, including his active buffer stage.

I do own a Schiit headphone amp which is superb and I do like how the company comes across. Plus their stuff looks well designed and put together too. From my research about the Saga, many prefer it to the higher up Freya as the circuit is more simple, especially if you don't need balanced connections. Plus many are getting into tube rolling with the tube active buffer.

Also, they have an EU/UK store so can purchase without incurring custom fees, plus taking advantage of the warranty and support.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast