+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had a grand......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm jamie.

Default If you had a grand......

As above to spend on an amp what would you buy?
    New or second hand? Valve ? Classic Japanese or English?
    Big brand or 1 man band?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Peter.

Do you mean Amp or integrated? Obviously, there are used bargains out there, but not much within your budget..... unless of course your real lucky. It really does depend on what your looking for...... it’s a bit of a wide spectrum to be specific. No doubt others will advise, but at the end of the day, you must have some idea what you fancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

mmm if i had yammy ns speakers i might buy firebottle valve hybrid monoblocks and a cheap passive pre which would be just a tad over a grand but not much

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ower-amplifier
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ian.

I'd have my ears syringed to get the best from my current amp and spend the money on chocolate and loose women
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I'd have my ears syringed to get the best from my current amp and spend the money on chocolate and loose women
    I had my ears syringed a couple of years ago, and since then I hear a constant high-pitched whistle, like the noise that you used to get with old CRT tellies. If I turn up the volume with my music, the whistling gets louder too.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I had my ears syringed a couple of years ago, and since then I hear a constant high-pitched whistle, like the noise that you used to get with old CRT tellies. If I turn up the volume with my music, the whistling gets louder too.
    I've been living with quite pronounced tinitus for a long time, your problem sounds different, might be worth getting checked?
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Starting a couple of years ago, I had something similar. A sensation of a hissing whistle in my head all the time. I'd put it down to some medication I take, but in the last couple of months the sensation of noise has worn off and I'm still on the meds. Haven't figured this out.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    mmm if i had yammy ns speakers i might buy firebottle valve hybrid monoblocks and a cheap passive pre which would be just a tad over a grand but not much

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ower-amplifier
    You can use your nak as a pre. Would be a great choice.

PS, you can pick different cases for them. Those discs on the front don't do them justice. Could look like mine

I'm Robert.

With bias I'd say classic Japanese, especially a 'good' one ie: a proper hifi delity piece - 'up there' if you get my jist.

You already know what you like as the Sony you have I'm sure you've been happy with.

Well if you want a genuine upgrade from that something like the Sansui AU 919 or a Sansui D11ii would be just the ticket and I should know

I had a 700 ES like yours for a short time it was completely re-built and I mean like new.

In all fairness I was meddling a lot with my entire system at the time, upgrades and so on so didnt really hear the 700 in the right context ie: tonearm set to sweetspot and eventually moved it on.

That said the 919 is a wonderful peice of kit. I've also heard Angus (Phonomacs) Sanusi D11ii and that too is a great amp, not as forward sounding as the 919 maybe but 2x 130wpc and a fine sounding amp.

You'll bag either for less than a grand BUT If you do make sure you can get it to someoine competant who will have it runing like new.

Angus I'm sure would happily properly service / overhaul a D11ii for you, he knows the proper improvements and upgrades that the tech boys on forums like AudioKarma implement and which he's applied to his own.

If the Legend that is the 919 appeals much as I genuinely hate to say, mine may be up for grabs.

Mine as you know has had, literally everything done, improved and I'd go as far as to say probably one of the best of it's kind out there right now - see my signature which only tells half the story - Angus I'm sure will be able to tell everything it's had done.

It is currently with him awaiting a phono selector switch.

Never ever thought I'd even consider moving it on, if it went to someone here that would be small consulation as it will, hand on heart ache a bit to let it go but I cant and wouldn't run two amps.

The AU a707 DR moves me in the same way which I didnt expect but edges it a little in the depth of info presented and the textures / timbres etc - The 919 is very very detailed and does this too but the 707 notches it hence.

I'd even suggest one of the Alphas like mine, 607 DR, 707 DR and the monster 907 DR ( 2x 160 wpc ) However they are very rare and finding good 230/240 UK/Euro voltage versions of these will be a challenge.

Anyway which ever route you decide to take, good luck and do your homework - I always do and it has almost always paid off one way or the other
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Shaun.

Well just over a year back I had more than a grand to spend and having given the usual thought to what I wanted to do I ended up with a Prima Luna pre/power. Had I had one grand to spend I have no idea what I would do. The decision was complex enough as it was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast