+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had a grand......

I'm Pavel.

I would buy a VFET amp and have it properly refurbished. When working properly, they are worth their weight in gold.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    mmm if i had yammy ns speakers i might buy firebottle valve hybrid monoblocks and a cheap passive pre which would be just a tad over a grand but not much

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ower-amplifier
    You can use your nak as a pre. Would be a great choice.

PS, you can pick different cases for them. Those discs on the front don't do them justice. Could look like mine

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I would buy a VFET amp and have it properly refurbished. When working properly, they are worth their weight in gold.
    Yes I’ve got my eye on one, trouble is it has a crackling output pot, I don’t know how serious that is, but I has slightly put me off.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Pavel.

Is it a power amp or one of Sony integrateds?

Crackling pots can usually be fixed with a generous helping of contact cleaner. Although in my former TA-4650 the volume pot was enormous and completely sealed.

I'm jamie.

It’s a power amp, Yamaha b-2
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

If it were me.......

I'd avoid vintage Japanese amplifiers. I love them but I've had a plethora of issues with them. Mainly pots or switches. I can name at least two people who are suffering with the same problems too.

I really do love them though.

Can't get Vfets. Won't be the same with anything else.

Class A is beautiful.

Class D is also worth a look due to the pure efficiency of them.

I'll never flog my Amps. They are the best things I've owned in that area. Bar none.

I'm tony.

EWA Q20V with volume pot.

Heard Colins amps at Ali Tates place-class A just does it for me (bought an M50 off the back of what I heard)

The croft integrated is about 1k....my son runs croft pre/power-what lovely music they make, dare say the integrated would do the bussiness.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I've been living with quite pronounced tinitus for a long time, your problem sounds different, might be worth getting checked?
    Do you use a hearing aid Ian? Although I don't use mine all the time I have found it has helped my tinitus
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Do you use a hearing aid Ian? Although I don't use mine all the time I have found it has helped my tinitus
    I've not used one yet James, I'm lucky that distraction techniques work well for me. the only time I really notice it is bed time but playing a cd or having the radio on quietly usually does the trick. I was worried it would drive me insane, not too far to go there, but I adapted pretty quickly.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I've not used one yet James, I'm lucky that distraction techniques work well for me. the only time I really notice it is bed time but playing a cd or having the radio on quietly usually does the trick. I was worried it would drive me insane, not too far to go there, but I adapted pretty quickly.
    Apparently tinitus is the brain trying to fill in the gaps that hearing loss has left, so the chap at ENT said, I suppose that's why a hearing aid can be useful,it fills in the gaps,or tries to so the brain doesn't have to. It's good you've found ways to adapt
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast