+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70's vintage Japanese amplifiers and receivers.

I'm Mauro.

Default 70's vintage Japanese amplifiers and receivers.

Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Sansui, Luxman, Trio-Kenwood, Toshiba, JVC,
    many of them are very good-looking with their silver finish and instrument lights,
    but how they sound now? are they still reliable or it's just nostalgia?

Many thanks.
    Mauro
    why is nothing ever simple?

I'm Andre.

Most of it has excellent build quality and reliability. I recently bought a Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II power amp that was produced in min 80s. Hitachi is a brand that is little bit overlooked, and the mosfet amps sound great.

Took it apart and gave it a good clean and checked all components and solder work. To my surprise I saw no trace that it had ever been repaired before since it was new.

I found only 4 caps that had low value, but that was it. So I replaced them and cleaned the speaker relay. Also upgraded the plastic speaker terminals to modern gold terminals so I can connect banana plugs to it.

And I changed the 4 meter bulbs for extra case. My pre amp is even older, it is from 1979 and still going strong. I swear to the old stuff and absolutely recommend people to buy the great vintage hifi still available out there. But it is wise even if it works when you buy to get it checked for possible faults lurking under the surface. Capacitors dry out over time, solder joints can dry out. Relays, pots and switches need cleaning after many years.
    Last edited by Sabaselfsit; 07-02-2018 at 16:53.
    Marantz HD-DAC1 -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Analogue -> Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II -> JBL Balboa 30

I'm nigel.

You missed out Yamaha....the CR 1020 and 2020 are IMHO the best sounding and best looking of the late ups recievers.
    Sadly they have a Achilles heel, the preamp section runs very hot......check out any pics and you will notice blackening on the plastic silver venting front left.
    Get these components checked over or replaced and they will last year's.

I tended to stay clear of the Sansui 8080/9090 series, although built for keeps with power to match the looks, they always sounded a bit muddy compared to vintage Yamaha kit.

Of course it's all a bit academic these days as the golden years of vintage picking are behind us.
    I remember the 80s and 90s when secondhand hifi shops were plentiful and a complete system could be purchased for under 150 pounds.

The prices asked for even pretty mundane kit these days are almost laughable

I'm Robert.

To answer your question and as the owner of a 1978/79 Sansui AU 919, it is a superb amplifier and it's reputation as such is well deserved.

I'd had numerous japanese vintage intergrated amps over many years but the 919 was by far the best in souce direct mode, no need for tone controls.

'Reliable' - a lot does depend on age with older gear, many untouched pieces will not be performing as new for a number of reasons , bias out, tired caps etc etc and to be expected 30 / 40 years on.

My 919 has been properly sorted, rebuilt, recapped etc etc and from first listen I got what the fuss was about

Sansui did a fair number of Intergrated amps and receivers that are still regarded today, some very highly regarded as did some of the other japanese marks but as I say one looked over by a good competent tech is very important / crucial otherwise evaluation / critical listening will be in my view flawed and inconclusive
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

TheMooN Guest

Yup, one of these,

Tank like build quality,

And and its older brother AU-999, all can be made to sound very good indeed with a few judicace modern component changes.

Last edited by TheMooN; 06-02-2018 at 21:22.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    The prices asked for even pretty mundane kit these days are almost laughable
    This is especially true for Marantz receivers: the prices are crazy because these receivers are very pretty and people lust after them. Alas, they look much better than they sound.

I'm Chris.

I see your Yamaha (very nice stuff from Piano makers!) and raise you.....https://www.2dehands.be/audio-video-...392204702.html
    Chris.

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    This is especially true for Marantz receivers: the prices are crazy because these receivers are very pretty and people lust after them. Alas, they look much better than they sound.
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but would say that some Vintage tuners can sound as good as they look,

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but would say that some Vintage tuners can sound as good as they look,

Wow, not sure what model Sansui that is but I'd bet my left one it sounds as good as it looks knowing Sansui

Their TU-919 tuner is always in 'best ever' tuner lists
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

TheMooN Guest

TIS a TU-9900 Robbie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast