Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: refinishing walnut veneer speakers

I'm Grant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-SDE...ony+wood+stain

i use this for black ash type speakers. its very good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

this is how the ebony looks
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sand the surface along the grain. Don't use coarse paper 'cos it'll leave marks. Just take your time with finer stuff. Take care sanding at edges, it's easy to go through the veneer there. Then try a coat of water based black suede shoe dye. Allow it to dry then if the finish looks even, bung some satin varnish on. I've done this and it works. Takes a little care and patience.
    Ok cheers will give it a go

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

this is how the ebony looks
    Looks good. Are they Tannoys?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Looks good. Are they Tannoys?

They are focal jmlabs Came up a treat. It's good stuff and Ive done a few pairs. Use rubber gloves as it stains fingers tho
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    They are focal jmlabs Came up a treat. It's good stuff and Ive done a few pairs. Use rubber gloves as it stains fingers tho
    Ok thanks. Will do.

I'm Richard.

Hi John,

My hobby is building speakers and I have recently made a pair for myself with an ebonised ash finish. To get the effect that I wanted I used two coats of Liberon ebony spirit dye that Grant recommended followed by two coats of Osmo Wax Oil 3169. The first coat of oil was applied with a fine Scotchbrite pad which automatically denibs the surface. The following day the surface was lightly flatted out with a fine Scotchbrite pad and then the final coat was applied (very thinly) with a microfibre cloth. The end result was exactly as I wanted. The wood is very dark but the grain can clearly be seen. The oil has a satin finish which I like. The photograph is not great but good enough to show what I mean.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Hi John,

My hobby is building speakers and I have recently made a pair for myself with an ebonised ash finish. To get the effect that I wanted I used two coats of Liberon ebony spirit dye that Grant recommended followed by two coats of Osmo Wax Oil 3169. The first coat of oil was applied with a fine Scotchbrite pad which automatically denibs the surface. The following day the surface was lightly flatted out with a fine Scotchbrite pad and then the final coat was applied (very thinly) with a microfibre cloth. The end result was exactly as I wanted. The wood is very dark but the grain can clearly be seen. The oil has a satin finish which I like. The photograph is not great but good enough to show what I mean.

Hi Richard. That does look fantastic and you have obviously taken a lot of care over it. Looking at them makes me want to get mine professionally refinished rather than do it myself.

I'm Richard.

Hi John,

What state are your speakers in? A photograph would be useful. If you use the right materials and if the cabinets are not in too bad a condition you would probably be able to do a decent job for not a lot of money.

I'm Philip.

As an aside, i eant to replace the grill cloth on the speakers, JBL L50.

Thoughts on tne lighter shade of blue in this image?
    I have trouble seeing the other two due to color blindness.

Is the lighter blue blue enough? Horrible? Ok?

Thanks
    Fabric colors
    https://flic.kr/p/249vPwa[
    Grill type (blue in this pic no an option)
    https://flic.kr/p/22M5rjx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast