+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elsdon Wonfor Audio -LS-25

I'm tony.

Default Elsdon Wonfor Audio -LS-25

I took delivery of EWA LS-25 speaker cable to marry up with my new Eddingdale speakers.

I spoke to Gazjam of this parish, he runs Eddingdales and recommended tq ultra black and urged me not to skimp on speaker wire.

I have an awkward set up with speakers at either side of a fireplace-the cable runs under it, so 6m on one side 2m the other.

I posted threads years ago about tq blue/black and ultra all of which I have kept and have running in my av set up and my sons rig.

The tqb ultra was jumper length as i velcroed t map mono blocks to the back of my various speakers and ran long ICs.

I tried my short run of tq black placing the amps on the floor between the speakers- wow, things just came together.

Time to get serious.

I contacted Colin Wonfor ( he designed the tq cables and amps I own) to make sure my EWA M50 power amp would be ok with unequal lengths-no problems!!!

Pulled the trigger on the LS-25.

First impressions were quite strange- I fired up John Martyn -solid air, a pre remastered copy with nothing missing. It actually sounded slowed down-this on a lossless rip!

The cable was creating so much space and separation I had to re calibrate my brain.

The detail retrieval is astonishing with no discernible frequency lifts. Really open window stuff-the cables just disappeared.

I cant hear any discernible colouration.

As an aside it does ruthlessly show up everything else in the chain-ive been experimenting with ICs, tried maybe half a dozen yesterday between pre and power all sound different-its that transparent.

I contacted Colin and ordered LS-25 jumpers as the tqb ultra jumpers are the only weak link in the speaker cable side of things.

Im conscious both my speakers and the cable will settle down with more hours on them but its a game changer for me.

Both my wife and son agree its the best the hi fi has sounded.

My thanks to Gary for the gentle nudge and Mr Wonfor for his wonderful creations.

Thoroughly recommended....hopefully get the Scottish Mafia across for a wee listen and some feed back.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Look forward to it mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm tony.

Ali,
    Could do with some help regards speaker positioning and an objective set of ears-Im finding it a bit overwhelming with the jump my system has taken recently.

Look forward to getting everyone across-getting the band back together.

Might have to up my game from cakes and a brew to some proper grub!!!

I'm Gary.

Good stuff mate, glad its all working out for you.
    Nice write up and kinda what I expected.

Count me in too Tony.
    Will bring my Morrow MA5 interconnects for you to hear.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm tony.

Gary yer a gent...looking to do the best I can just now-aint far off.

The Morrow stuff certainly gets good press.

Might speak to Col and see if he has any ICs in the pipe line!

I'm Colin.

Tony we do, would you like try them, warning they are bright Blue, and I can't change the colour because the material I use is Blue, and I am not going to cover them with black PVC muck as it wrecks there sound.

I'm Mike.

Default Elsdon Wonfor Audio -LS-25

Nice write up, I’ve put an order in and I think it might arrive this week, fingers crossed I get similar results

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post

Might speak to Col and see if he has any ICs in the pipe line!
    I’m sure I saw a set mentioned on Facebook

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    Tony we do, would you like try them, warning they are bright Blue, and I can't change the colour because the material I use is Blue, and I am not going to cover them with black PVC muck as it wrecks there sound.
    Col,
    Might be an idea for me to stick with all EWA stuff...it would make sense synergy wise.

I'm Gary.

May be something in that Tony,
    But don't rule anything out...choose with your ears.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast