+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Ortofon 2M Bronze on a PL-71

I'm Ian.

As Robert and Svend have said there are so many variables but the end result is well worth it and the bonus is that you will learn loads about cartridge set up. Good luck with it, you'll love it when you here the sparkle.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Dave.

Thanks for all the help guys. Im not sure how to use or read the calculator in the link. Here are my specs:

Tone arm mass = 18g. (is this correct? i cant find solid info)
    Headshell = 12g.
    Cart weight with screws = 7.8g.

Any help with trying to find out if my cart/headshell is optimum would be great!

As for the other points brought up....

- I am using a vintage Pioneer SX-750 with a built in pre amp.
    - I have checked all connection. All ok.
    - I use a digital scale to measure VTF. I set it to the exact height of an average record so I can achieve the best accuracy.
    - Lastly, I have heard the sweet spot on my 2M Blue. Im not sure exactly what the sweet spot sounds like on the Bronze but what I do know is that it just does not seem to sound correct right now. The mids are bloated and almost resignating (the best way i can describe it). Highs seem to be covered in a blanket. Bass is just not very detailed and is lacking body.

You guys have been great! Thanks for being patient with me.

Dave
    Pioneer PL-71 / Ortofon 2M Bronze / Ortofon SH-4 / Custom Reso-Mat / Pioneer SX-750 / Blue Jeans Cables / KAB RF-1 / Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7

I'm paul.

If they are that finicky, how does it work with different thicknesses of vinyl, sounds a right pain in the arse.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Tracking angle stated same as the Black then. Always found a slightly negative rake is where the sweetspot is at, never parrallel with any of the Blacks Ive had and Ive had all three 2M, Quintet and now Cadenza - all 20 deg.
    I see, so perhaps if you kept the bottom parallel, and increased the tracking force, you’d wind up with the same SRA, or stylus rake angle? Of course increasing the tracking force can have its own issues, especially without exceeding the recommended force. Tilting it back may help keep it from exceeding the weight limit?

I also noticed it said that the 2M Black stylus would fit the 2M Bronze cartridge, as a replacement. So they must be very similar.

I’d love to have a Cadenza Black! But I wonder about the lesser Cadenza’s? The bronze and blue are much easier on the pocket, but you never hear any reviews of them, everyone wants the black.

Russell

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizastical View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. Im not sure how to use or read the calculator in the link. Here are my specs:

Tone arm mass = 18g. (is this correct? i cant find solid info)
    Headshell = 12g.
    Cart weight with screws = 7.8g.
    If this is correct your headshell is way too heavy it wold make your cartridge to resonate around 5.5Hz , you should aim at 8-12Hz range

I'm Dave.

I have a new Ortofon SH-4 headshell. I weighs 9.4g. Would that put me in the correct range? My 2M Blue is mounted to an SH-4 and sounds great. But then I will not be able to adjust Azimuth.

Dave
    Pioneer PL-71 / Ortofon 2M Bronze / Ortofon SH-4 / Custom Reso-Mat / Pioneer SX-750 / Blue Jeans Cables / KAB RF-1 / Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7

I'm Slav.

I'm afraid Ortofon 2M cartridges aren't very good match for your arm , 2M Blue is less compliant and with lighter headshell give ~6Hz , you'd be better of with something less compliant like 6-10Cu

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizastical View Post
    I have a new Ortofon SH-4 headshell. I weighs 9.4g. Would that put me in the correct range? My 2M Blue is mounted to an SH-4 and sounds great. But then I will not be able to adjust Azimuth.

Dave
    if its sounding great i wouldnt worry
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quiet a few people run Bronze and Black carts on this table with Sumiko headshells that also come in @ 12 grams. I'm very confused why my setup would be any different.

I'm Svend.

Dave, I still think the heavy headshell might be a significant part of the problem here (there may be other issues). I checked out the PL-71 and as far as I can tell it has an Acos arm that is similar if not the same as the Rega R200 that came on the first gen Planar 2 and 3 decks, which was a variant of the Lustre made by Acos for Rega. I happen to have used this very arm on my Heybrook TT2 with (you guessed it) a 2M Bronze. It sounded terrific - much better match for the Bronze than the lighter RB300 arm I used prior (@ 11.5g eff. mass). Now, the headshell that came with the Rega R200 version only weighs 7g, fully 5g lighter than yours. I'm sure you can find a Rega R200 headshell for cheap, if not free -- there are plenty of these arms about, many of which have been mothballed due to broken AS mechs. Post a want ad here and someone may help you out.

As for setup, I played with VTA a bit with my rig, and found that slightly tail down seemed to sound best. If I dropped it too far it gave the sound a character similar to what you describe - tubby midrange, lacking bass and treble. Tail too high and it was all air and no beef.

One more question: how clean is your stylus? If you've never cleaned it, I can recommend the Magic Eraser treatment. Works great! If you've never heard of this, let me know and I'll fill you in. I found this made a big difference to sound quality.

Hope this helps. Keep at it, as this cartridge is worth the effort. If your arm is indeed the same as the Acos Lustre / R200, then it's actually a great match and there's no reason you couldn't make it sing.

Best,
    Svend

PS -- I used the Rega Baerwald protractor for alignment of the R200/Bronze....worked great.
    PPS -- on reading your last post above, and your first post, I'm thinking this cart is just not playing nice with that Pro-Ject headshell, and/or you should try a different protractor. Seriously, try to find a nice light Rega R200 headshell and align using Baerwald and see what happens. You won't have azimuth adjustment, but I'm not sure you need it -- my Bronze sounded wonderful on the R200.
    Last edited by Svend N; 03-02-2018 at 16:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast