+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Research AR18- opinions and restoring....

I'm Rohan.

Default Acoustic Research AR18- opinions and restoring....

I was informed by my parents that a relative had given them some speakers thinking that perhaps I could bring them back to life.
    My Mum said on the phone, "They don't look very good or anything special at all."

Shortly thereafter they visited me, each clutching one speaker. I couldn't believe it when I saw they were AR18s!

The foam surrounds have rotted completely away.

I see there is one little elcap in there that I suppose is worth replacing.

Well, I've never refoamed anything in my life other than my face when shaving, but am resolved to give it a go. Does anyone have any advice about foam kits?
    I have read that not all are equal, some having a more suitable foam type for the speaker, others not. If anyone knows anything about this or indeed has anything else to say about the AR18, I'm all ears.

I'm Geoff.

If you have the patience, you could wade through my Tannoy thread. It shows how I replaced the cone surrounds. Doing your's should be much simpler. Make a note of the adhesive used, it's the best choice.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...age%29+tannoys

I'm Rohan.

Thanks Geoff. Will do...

I'm Geoff.

Your AR's will be much easier to work on.

The cone surrounds are done in situ, don't attempt to extract the cones from the speaker. Just remove all remnants of the old surrounds from the cone edges and chassis lip (tweezers are handy for doing the cone). Assuming you locate suitable surround replacements (should be easy), tack them in maybe four places around the cone using 'Aleene's Original Tacky Glue' (it's the best), ensuring you get them evenly positioned. The glue is water based and movable for a while. Let it set, then bond the rest of the surround to the cone with glue using a small art brush. Once that's dry, coat the chassis lip with glue and press the surround edge in position all round, give it ten minutes to start setting, then push the cone back and forth gently on its suspension to make sure the coil is not binding in the magnet gap, if it does, the glue will still be soft enough for you to make adjustments. That should be it!

I'm Martin.

What's the condition like other than the driver surrounds? Any chance of a photo of them?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rohan.

One tweeter dome slightly dented but overall they seem worthy of repair! I'll he a photo up later.

I'm nigel.

I've mentioned this before but the best thing for indented tweeters and dustcaps is paper masking tape.
    Simply apply across the face of the dent and scrape in slightly with a fingernail then pull up SLOWLY.

The really shit stuff you get from pound shops is the best type due to its ahem...."built in low adhesion"

I'm Rohan.

This is the other one with the pushed in dust cover. Cute stands came attached:

I'm Geoff.

The vacuum cleaner trick should work on that pushed in dust cap. Do it carefully, on a low setting first if you have one.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    I've mentioned this before but the best thing for indented tweeters and dustcaps is paper masking tape.
    Simply apply across the face of the dent and scrape in slightly with a fingernail then pull up SLOWLY.

The really shit stuff you get from pound shops is the best type due to its ahem...."built in low adhesion"
    That is a top tip on top of a top tip.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast