+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For February!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Sunny, bright and clear here too in the Vale of Glamorgan - just for a change the Welsh weather seems OK . . . a rare occurrence
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

What is St David's like? I love West Wales and when looking on the map, it looked like a potentially nice place to go

We'd love to move over to the West at some point, so where would you recommend that's scenic, off the beaten track [we like the 'land that time forgot' aspect of things] but also near a reasonable-sized town, so we could do some basic shopping?

Here in North Wales the snow has stopped [boo-hoo], so what's here (on the ground) is just what fell yesterday. Looking forward to tomorrow and Friday though, when it's supposed to be coming down in sheets!

Marco.
    I know St Davids very well, I worked for Cadw ( http://cadw.gov.wales/?lang=en )for almost 30 years supervising building conservation and St Davids Bishops Palace was one on the sites I was responsible for, beautiful little town with Haverfordwest not too far away. But pretty much the whole of the coast from Cardigan to Swansea is very scenic.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    North Gower? Lovely spot. My dad's family came from Sketty and Mumbles, so I know the Gower well.
    We live in Loughor, so only just Gower, but only a short drive to all the stunning beauty spots...love Mumbles, especially Verdi's.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    I know St Davids very well, I worked for Cadw ( http://cadw.gov.wales/?lang=en )for almost 30 years supervising building conservation and St Davids Bishops Palace was one on the sites I was responsible for, beautiful little town with Haverfordwest not too far away. But pretty much the whole of the coast from Cardigan to Swansea is very scenic.
    Ah, nice one, Malcolm - and noted. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Swansea (as we don't like living near cities, where it gets too built up and busy) or too near to South West Wales. Central West Wales or North West Wales would be better, so geographically St David's looked ideal

What are the roads round there like, outside of towns - are they generally pretty empty? That's what I'm used to here in North Wales, and would want it the same, if we move to the West, as I love driving around the countryside and having the road virtually to myself!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

We live in Loughor, so only just Gower, but only a short drive to all the stunning beauty spots...love Mumbles, especially Verdi's.
    As a kid, I wanted to pan for gold at Pwll Du. That mysterious black pool (a pwll du) behind the beach looked an interesting site.

I'm malcolm.

Ah, nice one, Malcolm - and noted. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Swansea (as we don't like living near cities, where it gets too built up and busy) or too near to South West Wales. Central West Wales or North West Wales would be better, so geographically St David's looked ideal

What are the roads round there like, outside of towns - are they generally pretty empty? That's what I'm used to here in North Wales, and would want it the same, if we move to the West, as I love driving around the countryside and having the road virtually to myself!

Marco.
    Yes roads pretty much like North Wales most of year but can get pretty busy in summer unless inland off beaten track. Take a look at the area enclosed by Aberystwyth, Tregaron, Builth Wells, Llandovery, Llandeilo, Laugharne. Lots of hippy enclaves within.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm malcolm.

Marco.
    Looking at your signature, I assume that's your business? I used to have a bit to do with Swansea College of Art, Rodney Bender, but lost touch years ago, a daughter of a close friend also studied Stained Glass there.
    Audiophile Tosher

Yes roads pretty much like North Wales most of year but can get pretty busy in summer unless inland off beaten track. Take a look at the area enclosed by Aberystwyth, Tregaron, Builth Wells, Llandovery, Llandeilo, Laugharne. Lots of hippy enclaves within.
    Yup, the bit in bold doesn't surprise me, but I could handle that. I've been to Aberystwyth and Builth Wells, and loved them, although the latter is a little too central (and inland). I'd prefer being somewhere which you can't easily pass through, in order to get to it (you have to make an effort to do so), if you know what I mean?

Will check out the other places you mentioned. The "hippy" thing appeals, as one of the things we love are places where life hasn't really changed much in 40-odd years! We like a quiet, laid-back lifestyle, where the pace of life is slow and people have time for each other, and where there is a strong community spirit.

We also love towns full of independent shops, such as family-owned butchers, fishmongers, bakers - that kind of thing, so we could always buy fresh local produce

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

You'd like The Lizard in Cornwall then Marco. Mullion, Gweek and Coverac are decent places to live. The whole peninsula has nice villages and hamlets.

Looking at your signature, I assume that's your business? I used to have a bit to do with Swansea College of Art, Rodney Bender, but lost touch years ago, a daughter of a close friend also studied Stained Glass there.
    Ah no, that's a business belonging to a friend. However, both my wife and I are 'arty', especially my wife, as she has a degree in art and textiles, which she now teaches in a local college.

We live in an old lodge house, so have recently been installing some original Victorian stained glass-panelled doors, and Harry (the guy who owns the stained glass company in question) is top notch!

I have a picture framing business, which I run from home, although only do the odd few jobs now.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast