+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did new music stop being entertaining..?

I'm Shaun.

Default When did new music stop being entertaining..?

Or has it actually stopped being entertaining..? Given the trend in purchased music, something has clearly lost its shine. Does the blame lie with the bands and the musicians..? Or does the blame lie with the media moguls who make all of the money..? I first became interested in music in the very late sixties around maybe nine years old so I had the pleasure of all of those great seventies bands but by the eighties I had all but lost interest in what those bands had become. For me nothing really took over until the Ozrics entered my life around 1990.

What's your personal view on this subject..? Do you feel strongly enough about it..?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm scratching my head trying to understand the question, music has never been more popular. Just because people aren't buying as much physical music, doesn't mean they aren't listening?

I'm listening to more, discovering/exploring more genres, seeing more live and enjoying music more than ever. I'm lost and certainly don't share your gloomy appraisal, seeing it totally differently. More live venues, festivals, streaming services, internet Radio, YouTube, talent shows on TV (X-Factor has about 20 million viewers) - I really don't know what you're on about

It may have become less entertaining for you, but not for me - maybe a wee dram with make it better
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Shaun.

It could well be my geographical location that makes live music difficult to experience but my question was based largely on stats and sales of recorded music rather than any other form and given that this forum is largely dedicated to Hi-Fi, live music doesn't really have much of a place. My overall perception is largely that it is the quality of the music that has dropped but that is a huge genralisation.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm scratching my head trying to understand the question,
    There are actually five questions

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Who is it that you once found so entertaining, and when is it that their music lost its shine?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Who is it that you once found so entertaining, and when is it that their music lost its shine?
    Chris, it's more of a generalisation than anything, its not really any one artist or band. I just find the whole music scene has lost it's edge. Of course it could very well be that I no longer find anything related to music stirs me the way it used to. It used to be refreshing and exciting but now it is just bland and uninspiring for me. Even my fave rave Ozric Tentacles have gone the road of everything being digitised and quantised and it sounds so bloody boring and lifeless when compared to their early stuff. I have though recently discovered 'Signify' by Porcupine Tree and that is really good after a few listens. I think regarding timings that Ozrics lost their shine about twenty years ago. The turning point for me was around the album 'Curious Corn'.

I'm Martin.

Aside from the very rare exception new music stopped being entertaining around the mid-'Nineties.

Last time music was really good was on the back of the big late 1980s recession. Loads of youngsters on the dole with nothing better to do than form bands and plenty of time to practice and write songs. Plus it was a way out of poverty, like football and boxing. Now they are all working for the man: so no time and no incentive.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

think we have a lot of very good stuff coming out at moment. might not be my taste but its pretty well done. there has always been stuff i regard as crap, even 60/70's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think we have a lot of very good stuff coming out at moment. might not be my taste but its pretty well done. there has always been stuff i regard as crap, even 60/70's
    I don't mind there being a lot of crap, as you say there always was, as long as there is also a decent amount of good stuff. And there isn't. I occasionally go on you-tube to check out modern music that people are enthusing about on here. I'm almost always disappointed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    so no time and no incentive.
    That is a very choice selection of words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast