+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: a pair of decent bookshelf speakers

I'm James.

I've had the q acoustics 2020is good speakers, the ushers are in a different league though.the ones ont bay seem to be the original ones that are bi wireable, mine are the last versions made that arn't, I think that's the only difference?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Neil.

something out of the AVI range from the 1990's- can't remember the name of the little AVI bookshelf speakers that I have fixed to the wall at high level - "NeuTRON" or something similar
    very presentable and make a sound good
    Neil.

I'm Pavel.

Wink

Thanks everyone, I bought a pair of those Ushers off eBay. Hopefully they will arrive early next week!

I'm Geoff.

Let us know what you think of them. Bet you like them.

montesquieu Guest

I'm having great fun with Tannoy DC6'es got second hand for £200 or so. Dinky little things but they are proper dual concentric Tannoys and give decent bass performance down to 50hz according to the measurements (in a smallish room that feels right), and I think would dovetail nicely with a subwoofer if deeper is required. (Can be bought later as well).

I'm informed that the older ones are better than the later XT models (I haven't heard the new ones so can't comment).

Running lovely at the moment with 10w of Pass Aleph Mini clone and a modest tube preamp.

EDIT - just spotted you'd bought. Be interesting to see how you go.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Thanks everyone, I bought a pair of those Ushers off eBay. Hopefully they will arrive early next week!
    nice one 250 was a good price, i think i paid nearer 400. i still cant find the pound sign on this laptop
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Pavel.

I will definitely share my impressions about the speakers when they arrive

I'm Pavel.

The Ushers have arrived, and the first impression is very favourable. Fit and finish are superb, the speakers are surprisingly heavy for their size and their low end output is unexpectedly solid. Right now I’m spinning some early Kate Bush and I feel they are doing her fantastic voice justice.

I'm Geoff.

Good aren't they? I knew you'd like them.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    The Ushers have arrived, and the first impression is very favourable. Fit and finish are superb, the speakers are surprisingly heavy for their size and their low end output is unexpectedly solid. Right now I’m spinning some early Kate Bush and I feel they are doing her fantastic voice justice.
    Brilliant!! I found having the tweeters on the outside worked better in my room and from new they seemed to go from great to not great to a bit crap and eventually great!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast