+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Note Kit 1 - single ended triode amplifier

I'm Gary.

Default Audio Note Kit 1 - single ended triode amplifier

I have decided to sell my Audio Note Kit 1 amplifier, which I built about 14 years ago and which has been a long-term component of my system alongside other amplifiers which have come and gone over that time. I have had huge enjoyment from it, but downsizing means I have to make some hard choices about what are the best – and most versatile – pieces to keep.

The Kit 1, you probably know, is a very high quality amplifier using 2 x 300B power valves to achieve 7 – 8wpc into 8 Ohm. It has all the important design features necessary for full membership of the exclusive SET club: single-ended, no feedback, Class A, directly heated triodes. This amplifier is regarded by Audio Note as the entry point to “real Audio Amplification” (as they put it). Certainly if you have not heard a good SET amp in action, you should. They sound wonderful, especially with classical, small ensemble, jazz, blues, early music, vocal music. In fact with most genres of music, though maybe not ideal for turbocharged heavy rock or drums ‘n bass.

The amp contains about £1200 worth of parts (2004 prices) and contains significant upgrades beyond the basic Kit 1 sold by Audio Note at the time. These include their Level One Upgrade (comprising all the necessary Black Gate electron transfer and Elna Cerafine “Ceramic Particle” capacitors to replace all electrolytics), Audio Note Copper Foil signal coupling capacitors, Audio Note Silver Wire upgrade, the addition of a gigantic Elna Cerafine PSU capacitor slung underneath the chassis like a torpedo (see photograph!), and an upgraded Noble enclosed volume pot. The amp is currently running with a matched pair of Shuguang 50 Year Treasure 300B-Z power valves, which sound wonderful and I would conservatively estimate have over half their working life ahead of them. The current cost of this kit is $2500, and that is before all the upgrades and the import taxes – and then you have got to build it.

My amp is in good, but not perfect, cosmetic condition. The black powder coat has lifted from the chassis at one point on the front edge to expose bare metal, which I have touched-in in black. At another point on the chassis, near the rear 300B valve base, the powder coat is lifting but has not perforated. I have tried to show these points in the photographs. Other than that its appearance is excellent and unblemished. Functionally, the amp is in excellent shape. I have had it professionally serviced on two occasions during its working life, for some re-capping and to renew the volume pot when it failed. On both occasions the EE doing the work (different one each time) complimented me on the standard and neatness of the build. I have all the invoices, build manuals and circuit diagrams that came with the kit.

This is a fine amp in good condition which, when paired with a good source and sensitive speakers will absolutely delight the listener. Price is £800, carriage - at cost - is extra (or you can of course come to Welshpool to collect it)

IB

I'm Steve.

Oooh shiny! I like the look of this. What sort of out put does this deliver 7-8W?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    Oooh shiny! I like the look of this. What sort of out put does this deliver 7-8W?
    Yes, exactly that. But don't imagine that makes it a weedy performer. Look at the size of those output transformers - the amp can deliver a lot of current and has an excellent ability to control speakers across the frequency range.
    IB

I'm Gary.

Back to page 1.

I'm Alan.

Heard this and it is extremely good.
    GLWS.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Gary.

Why, thank you, Alan.

Gary.

I'm John.

That is truly beautiful. If I hasn't already bought a new Audionote amp last year I would have it.

Incidentally I used to have a client in Welshpool. Very nice lady and a nice little village too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Very kind
    IB

I'm Gary.

Now reserved. Thanks for the interest.
    IB

I'm Mirek.

Good Luck With Sale Gary! Lucky buyer

+ Reply to Thread