+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long time not been to visit....

I'm Chris.

Default Long time no see....

Hi all,

Not been on for a while, busy with work, life & children! Anyway, I'm revamping my system! Moved into a much much smaller house. I have a Sony XB- something or other system. Its been ok, However, I'm wanting to move away from the Hi-Fi and grab a Receiver for home cinema, but also will have a standalone PC plugged into it for music enjoyment. I was toying with the idea of getting a HDMI capable receiver but I'm not really that kean, I think I'd rather go Optical, Hook up the TV,Sky, Xbox and I'll also grab a SOundcard with Optical for the PC. PC is the gateway to the music as everything is network stored. We play quite a bit of Youtube, either PC or Xbox will do that. We watch a fair few films on Netflix too, again PC or Xbox for that.

For now, I'll keep & use the Sony speakers and grab some floorstanders, after I've sorted out a Receiver (i'm thinking Yamaha).

I think my plan will work, also going to look at grabbing a Bluetooth to RCA device (Ebay £25) so I can join my phone to the Device and it will play through the Reciever, like wise for the missus. Link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CSL-Bluet....c100005.m1851

Eventually, as mentioned above I'll grab some floorstanders for next to the TV, Will also see if I can pick up a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9's for the rears (maybe).

I think my plan will work! Off to ebay I go to look for a cheap Yammer, Dont want to spend loads right now as it's going to live in the TV cabinet - most likely with children prodding and poking.

I'll post before and after photos.

Advice greatly welcomed, first time I've ever really dabbled with receivers, I usually have systems with Integrated amps.

Thanks all.
    Adios for Now,

Chris.

I'm Steve.

Hi Chris,

I see in your thread that you are considering Yamaha. I'm sure they would be great, but I would like to put in a good word for Sony receivers. I bought one 7 years ago to get me up and running (STR-DH800), and it's still going strong! It is used everyday, as I can't stand the sound from the TV. I paid £280 for it, and it's been worth every penny. It runs my Monitor Audio Radius speakers and BK Sub effortlessly, and has several HDMI inputs, as well as an optical which connects to the Sky+HD box.

It looks like the current version may be the STR-DG820, which seems to have similar specs, but a bit more power, and 3 optical inputs, all for about the same price I paid for mine.

Just thought it may be worth looking at before you part with your hard-earned.

Ste.

I'm Rohan.

Chris, regarding your search for floorstanders, now that you have the receiver....those Dali 104s in the classifieds would be bloody good! Good price too.

+ Reply to Thread