+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAD C350 as power amp Vs an actual power amp?

I'm James.

Default NAD C350 as power amp Vs an actual power amp?

Hi all,

I currently am running a NAD c350 (without the pre-to-main jumpers) as a power amp connected to my Onkyo z800 and really like the sound (which I think is an improvement over using the Onkyo's amp)... until it started humming. I have checked for ground loop isolated everything etc.. it needs a repair.

But now I'm thinking... would an actual power amp sound much better? I figure I'm "wasting" the preamp capabilities and could repair then sell the NAD with a view to buying a dedicated power amp?

Thoughts appreciated....

thanks

I'm gone.

If it sounds good, then I see no problem in just using the power amp section of an integrated or a receiver.
    Quite often, in my experience, the power amp section sounds a lot better than the included preamp section anyway.
    Good sounding low priced power amps aren't uncommon, whereas you have to pay out a fair few £££ to get a really good sounding preamp, ime, so the pre section will often be the limiting factor in an integrated or receiver.
    But yes, a power amp on its own would seem to be better vfm.

I'm James.

Cheers JandL

Might start browsing then.. There doesn’t seem to be many power amp reviews out there though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm Geoff.

Get a Quad 306 and passive pre-amp. Best bang for your bucks out there.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    Cheers JandL

Might start browsing then.. There doesn’t seem to be many power amp reviews out there though?

Well .... it all depends what your budget is, how much the NAD would cost to repair.
    As Geoff says above, there are some excellent used bargains out there.

So -- if you'd like some thoughts on the way ahead regarding amps -- how much is your budget? What speakers are you wanting the amp to drive? Are you happy buying used gear or do you want to buy new? What range of music do you listen to? What are your sources? - all digital or a mix of analog and digital?

I'm James.

Thanks again guys,

as far as sources go, all go directly into the Onkyo TX-RZ800
    HiFiBerry
    Apple TV
    REGA Planner 1
    TV (ARC)

Onkyo then powers B&W CC6 S2 Centre, Tannoy Sub, and Mordaunt Short Alumni surrounds.
    Onkyo pre-out then goes to Main on NAD c350 to drive DM601 S2s

For 5.1 I'm happy with this set-up I could probably do with a B&W sub and surrounds to match better tonally but I'm not that bothered. (should I be?)

For music (Turntable/HiFiBerry) I use Pure mode (no processing?) and just the DM601 S2s powered by the NAD. Before I had the NAD I used 2.1 Stereo and the sound was Ok... nothing awesome but Ok. Adding the NAD meant Pure stereo sounded WAY better than 2.1 and I can only assume it was because the NAD drives the DM601's so much better.

Now, the NAD should cost £50ish to repair, apparently. But I could get £150 for it on ebay. If I added a bit of cash.. I'm sure I can get an even better power amp 2nd hand?.. Burt what would be better.. for c£300?

Music preferences wise ... Zeplin, Moby, Tull, underworld, Floyd ... not got any classical or opera though..

Cheers all!

I'm James.

As Geoff said,quad 306, usually a few ont bay
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    Now, the NAD should cost £50ish to repair, apparently
    I don't know who told you that. Even before the repair there'll be an inspection/assessment fee of maybe £50 to £60 from many repairers and even then, they may not agree to take it on.

Repairs on mass production electronics are usually uneconomical. There's one west London shop where you'd likely be charged between £400 and £500 to fix the NAD. So not viable.

I'm James.

Whatever you do walpurgis, don’t tell my local electronics repair bloke then!

Already had this NAD repaired by him when it went into protection mode 6 years ago.. £50. He reckons it’s the smoothing caps this time and quoted £30-£50 ... so with the greatest respect I REALLY hope you’re wrong!!

The quad looks good... the NAD got fantastic write-ups so will the quad be better though?

I'm Geoff.

You are lucky to have a repairer like that available.

The Quad 306 is a seriously decent sounding little power amp and a solid 50 watts is more than enough for most situations. Can't comment on the NAD as I've not heard that model.

Input sensitivity is high on the 306, so not all active pre-amps suit, but inexpensive passives work well and TVC's even better (I use that combination quite a lot).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast