+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rather tasty version of the SP10!

I'm James.

Default Rather tasty version of the SP10!

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Spartacus.

So who thinks measurements don't matter?
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Deleted.

It's 10K for the platter and motor unit and another 10K for the arm and plinth. From the linked to review I wouldn't say the plinth and arm seem like a very worthwhile buy.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the wow and flutter figures: they're very good, but not an order of magnitude better than what you can reasonably expect from other manufacturers. No mention of rumble figures.

I have little faith in the capability of the reviewer - if the Technics arm has an effective length of 10", that's 254mm in new money; clearly there was a misprint in the data sheet.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

I love that he uses reel to reel tape as a reference for speed stability in his 'review', an area in which it pales in accuracy to CD and all other digital formats. Not the most technical Fremer. Likewise I don't trust his phone app to give anywhere near an accurate speed measurement.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Charlie.

"It sounded as it measured, with a reel-to-reel tape-like rhythmic consistency and accuracy that produced severe relaxation and unprecedented, in my experience, low listener fatigue"

Nothing wrong with that Simon. I know exactly what he means, as I have switched most of my listening from vinyl (Platine Verdier) to R2R (several studio machines - Studer A820, A807/II, Otari MTR12, and Sony APR 5003). Tape has a constant linear velocity at say 15 IPS, as opposed to a record having a constant angular velocity (33.33 RPM = 200 degrees per sec). Speed stability can be an audible issue on vinyl e.g. on piano, where you can hear subtle tone variation - you generally don't get that on tape (although you can get scrape flutter on R2R).
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread