+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 amps into 1 set of speakers

I'm Edward.

I do! Two sets of amps and two sets of speakers.

I had a custom box built by Paul Baldwin and it works totally fine. Totally transparent (uses relays) and has dummy load so takes care of connecting valve amps. The pics in the link is my actual unit.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

The fewer links and switches in the chain the better, right the way through the system. My best sounding pre-amp does not even have input switching. Just one input.

I'm Mike.

Seems unadvisable.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Russell.

Using the switchbox May have an audiable effect, but it may be quite acceptable. And when you’re limited on space, and have few other options, I think it’s a good compromise. Unless you feel like crawling on the floor every time you want to switch?

Here’s a question. Why do speaker makers put the terminals all the way at the floor? Why not keep them up a few feet? For us old folk who find the floor has gotten very far away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I do! Two sets of amps and two sets of speakers.

I had a custom box built by Paul Baldwin and it works totally fine.
    I would be very wary of a statement made about the operation of this box with 2 speakers connected:

DOWN = Loudspeaker Sets 1 and 2 connected to the ACTIVE Amplifier
    Loudspeaker 2nd set is connected via the 2200uF decoupling capacitors acting as a bass crossover shunt to frequencies below 20Hz.
    By this crossover technology, the Active Amplifier will only see the impedance of the primary set of speakers even though all loudspeakers will be active.

That is totally wrong, the impedance will be the parallel impedance of the two speakers.

The resistance seen will only be speaker 1 but the that is not the load impedance.

I'm James.

Doesn't the Naim have Line out which could be fed to the ''classic'' Amp?

Jim.

I'm Steve.

I considered one of these switching boxes to enable me to use my Zu speakers for both hifi and a/v duties, but was advised that the extra 'gubbins' in the signal path may degrade the sound a bit. My cloth ears almost certainly would detect no difference, but just knowing it might would bug me.

As is often the case, you have to weigh convenience against possible sonic effects.

I have no experience of switching boxes, so apologies to makers and users of them.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I can't speak for the other boxes but using the Beresford switch box I cannot hear any difference with it in or out of the system.

Just saying.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Mike.

I asked the question so I could run a Naim unitiqute and another amp at the same time, replacing one amp with a Beresford switching thing is just as bad! Think I'll carry on my hunt for an amp with an integrated DAC and bollocks to the Naim, just get another streamer to connect to my main amp.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm tony.

keep an eye out for tq claymore amps.

Great on board usb dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast