+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 amps into 1 set of speakers

I'm Mike.

Default 2 amps into 1 set of speakers

Can you have one set of speakers connected up to 2 amps at the same time, switching between amps? Thinking of getting a classic amp for vinyl listening, and may'be a Naim unitiqute for streaming.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

not advisable
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I have previously had a 2 channel power amp and a surround power amp connected to the same pair of speakers, I assumed that as long as only one amp is on at any one time there wouldn’t be a problem. I was wrong. My amps would trip.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Can you have one set of speakers connected up to 2 amps at the same time, switching between amps? Thinking of getting a classic amp for vinyl listening, and may'be a Naim unitiqute for streaming.
    I wouldn't do that. Too much risk of an 'incineratory' disaster!

I'm Grant.

for a start you are putting the speakers in parallel so causing probs there, and thats before you think of the chances of accidentally putting both on together. having fail safe switching so only one can be connected at once is ok
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Yes you can!

Beresford TC-7220

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7220.htm

or his slightly newer/simpler version

Beresford TC-7210

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7210.htm

I had the TC-7220 to do exactly that - switch my Tannoy's between a Quad 306 for Vinyl and my Onkyo AV amp for everything else, Damn fine bit of kit and purposely designed to prevent any kind of damage. Can't reccommend Stan's products highly enough - just wish i'd never sold the bloody thing as 6months later I want one back (hence my wanted post!)

Chris.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I do this via one of Stanley Beresford's switch boxes. Designed to do just this job.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

I don't like switching into speakers. It never has a beneficial effect. Some of the old comparators dealers used and also seen at exhibitions were pretty detrimental. You'd be unlikely to see a serious Hi-Fi dealer or manufacturer use one these days.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Yes you can!

Beresford TC-7220

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7220.htm
    I use one of these to switch between digital and analogue preamps, into my monoblocks, excellent bit of kit...also gives me an additional mini jack input for phones etc...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't like switching into speakers. It never has a beneficial effect. Some of the old comparators dealers used and also seen at exhibitions were pretty detrimental. You'd be unlikely to see a serious Hi-Fi dealer or manufacturer use one these days.
    not keen either with speakers. can depend how the switching is done but its adding stuff into the speaker line
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast