+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4k HDR...

I'm Will.

Default 4k HDR...

I've had a Panasonic TX55-CX802 4K TV for about 18 months, and I've been very happy with it, sourced from sky Q UHD, HD, and blu-ray...

Recently I received an HDR firmware update for the TV, this provides an HDR option on each of HDMI inputs, unfortunately the on board apps are still limited to 4K however.

I've been using a ChromeCast Ultra to stream BT Sports ashes coverage to my tv, one can also cast from youtube...which contains some 4k HDR videos.

WOW! What a noticeable improvement over 4K, the colours, the resolution...so lifelike

So now I've just acquired an ultra HD blu-ray player (UB900), with HDR (for Netflix too)...the HDR blu-ray version of Planet Earth II is stunning!!!

Definitely worth taking HDR into account with regard to future proofing...

FYI There are as yet no plans for HDR for Sky Q, but I'm sure they'll have to implement it at some point...in order to compete with Amazon and Netflix
    Cheers, Will

I'm Tristan.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'm Gary.

+1
    Absolutely worth getting when you can.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    +1
    Absolutely worth getting when you can.
    Interesting article about potential HDR remastering of old material...

https://www.cnet.com/news/can-old-tv...verted-to-hdr/
    Cheers, Will

I'm Bob.

I have the 65 inch version of this TV with the HDR update, I couldn't get the Xbox One X to work with it and show HDR via games or Netflix (4k was fine) so I signed up for Amazon Prime and HDR worked a treat.

We recently moved and last night I got around to re-tuning all my receivers (TV, separate Sat box that feeds in via the Xbox One X) and had to re-do a couple of settings (HDR via HDMI input and change the input to HDMI 2.2 instead of 1.4) and low and behold it now all works so I can see 4k and HDR via Amazon, Netflix, Xbox One X games (They look stunning) and the Xbox's built in 4k Blu-Ray player.

Stunning.

PS I also use the Xbox One X as my music source, I have all my CD's on file as .flac's and have them on a USB stick and use VLC as the player, works a treat, I have the whole lot hooked up to my Pioneer receiver via optical and then on to my Tannoy Cheviots (I only use stereo).
    Last edited by bobvfr; 28-02-2018 at 17:33.

+ Reply to Thread