+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got gifted some lovely Valves... but

I'm Simon.

Default Got gifted some lovely Valves... but

Got a box load of valves from a mate in the States.. resisted the temptation for a while and stuck a pair of Amperex 6922s that should have been Nirvana into the pre, listen to this to her indoors, followed by pushing her out of the way so I could switch everything off, quickly, er very quickly.
    Only attempt for a long while of putting untested, unknown valves into the system.
    Hoping to borrow a valve tester soon to sort the expensive wheat from the chaff re the smaller valves but what do I do with the big fellas in the pictures, not sure if the tester can cope with the big 4 pin fellas that cost a fortune?
    Not looking a gift Horse in the mouth, I could only hint that an idea of hours/years usage would be advantageous to selling these things as I have no use for them (hopefully to forward some money to my mate as I can't take all these valves for nowt) so there lies the rub..
    Doubt anyone locally would own up to having amps that need these, let alone agreeing to test them in their amps.
    So where do I go from here:
    The pair of Sophia Electric 274B/n's look as new
    The pair of VV 32B's likewise
    The CV378's , according to the boxes have no lettering as such but look pretty old, if in good shape,
    boxes marked 'Valve Electronic' CV378 and July 1967.. Chinese crap or something special? can't see my mate spending
    on the VV's and Sophia's then adding cheap Chinese crap

Given past experience and expense of dealing or rather being stung by a 'respected' valve expert/company (Lots of hundred's for
    NOS Genalex KT88's that sounded marvellous but a loan of a tester proved on their last legs)..
    anyone tell me where I can get these tested without being told they are pile of s---e, only to see them on Ebay weeks later
    costing a fortune1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Bigman80 Guest

Firebottle built a valve tester. Give him a shout.

I'm James.

If you can get them to London I'll test them for you, they will all test in my Avo Mk4 without issue. PM if interested?

I'm Ralph.

Si, I'm hoping to be off this job for the middle of next week and then I'm coming over to Dougie's for a few days. I'll bring the tester with me.
    Ralph.

I'm Simon.

Hi Ralph,
    that would be brilliant. Be nice to see you while your up

Cheers
    Last edited by Si74; 06-02-2018 at 19:40. Reason: spelling

I'm Simon.

Hi James,

really appreciate the offer but think I'm sorted.
    Rue the day I let my valve tester go astray:-(

Cheers
    Simon

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    So where do I go from here:
    The pair of Sophia Electric 274B/n's look as new
    The pair of VV 32B's likewise
    The CV378's , according to the boxes have no lettering as such but look pretty old, if in good shape,
    boxes marked 'Valve Electronic' CV378 and July 1967.. Chinese crap or something special? can't see my mate spending
    The 274B are effectively a 5U4G rectifier

the VV32B with blue glass are similar to a turbo version of a 300B, made by Vaic Valve. If the filament doesnt snap, and its a big if, they are on a par with modern KR 300B or EML 300B

the CV378 is the military name for the Mullard GZ37 which were £5 each 20 years ago, and are now going for a fortune. One word of warning, hammered old GZ37s tend to test like new, they just sound soggy compared to a NOS one.

best of luck
    Simon
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    that would be brilliant. Be nice to see you while your up

Cheers
    It'll be good to see you again too matey. I'm looking forward to it and I shall bring some liquid refreshment
    Ralph.

+ Reply to Thread