+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiolab M-DAC + and Headphones

I'm Geoffrey.

Default Audiolab M-DAC + and Headphones

Been looking at getting this - I have heard one but was unable to take my headphones (Sennheiser HD660's) and have heard so so reports as regards it's abilities with headphones.

Don't really want to get a dedicated headphone amp - so does anyone out there use/own this DAC with headphones?

Any opinions/views appreciated.

Thanks

I'm inactive.

I own the Q-Dac which is alleged to be the same internally bar the DAC chip type, control knob and lack of remote.

I was not impressed by the headphone output - a bit harsh as I recall. Ended up getting a V-Can hp amp to use alongside.
    The M-Dac output might be better given the superior chip but somehow I doubt it.

My main beef with the Q-Dac is the inability to provide an 'unfiltered' output from the DAC - one of the reasons I stopped using it - don't know if this is the case with the M-Dac.
    (I use Sennheiser HD600)

I'm Adam.

I had the Q - Dac once, (as described above) something on the main board melted made the sound distort, I had them repair and replace.
    Before it had a melt down, it sounded pretty good, as one would expect from a component at this price point, poor PSU, over filtered presentation etc.
    I believe there were after market mods offered by some to improve the sound quality. I no longer have it.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Bill.

I'd advise going for a Beresford Caiman SEG over the M-DAC. I wasn't taken with the M-DAC when I had a demo and the Caiman is also a lot cheaper.

Listening to mine with HD600's now and sounding mighty fine!
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Dave.

Default Audiolab M-DAC+

Have a look at the user reviews on Amazon, especially the 3 star review. The reviewer was critical of the headphone output. He pointed out that it is not a headphone amp, it is a HIFi DAC
    which is intended to be use with a hifi system.

It put me off exploring it further, as I was looking for a DAC which would output into headphones. (if there is such a thing)

I am now pretty much settled on a Beresford Caiman SEG, and Capella amp which I will be enquiring about shortly.

I'm kev.

I use an Mdac+, the headphone amp adequate for casual listening but my dedicated Burson head amp unsurprisingly destroys it.
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

+ Reply to Thread