+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kef Corelli SP1051 - possible fix and servicing.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Why do resistors put a furry coat on? Did they get cold or something?
    When the resistors get hot, the lacquer breaks down exposing the ceramic coating, which is porous and absorbs atmospheric moisture which evaporates when the resistor gets hot again loosening the surface, giving that fluffy look. It has no effect on the resistor's value.

I'm Geoff.

But anyway this is only a fun learning project - I really don't need more speakers. My wife was amused when I told her I had got yet another set of speakers - this would be my 6th set. But she could not argue against £12.50
    If you get these working nicely, you'll probably like them as much as your Tannoys. I use mine alongside the Cheviots and both sound excellent.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you get these working nicely, you'll probably like them as much as your Tannoys. I use mine alongside the Cheviots and both sound excellent.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the Kefs get anywhere near the sq of the Tannoys.

Speaking of which I will be away late March for a while so I plan on having Paul at RFC do a recap and other work on them then. He says his fettling will further improve the Eatons.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

So I pulled out one of the crossovers, made a list and went along to Cricklewood Electronics to get the caps.

A bit of confusion on values etc but I think I got correct ones but would most appreciate a double check.

First value is what is on the xover and second value is what I bought. I took the xover with me and the guy at the shop was most helpful.

2 x 30 mfd (50v) - 2 x 30 uF (100v)

4 x 10 mfd (50v) - 4 x 10uF (100vnp)

4 x 5 mfd (50v) - 4 x 4.7uF (100 vnp) 4.7mfd was the closest they had.

2 x 3.3 mfd (50v) - 2 x 3.3uF (50 vnp)

2 x 0.69 mfd (50v) 2 x MA684k 630v (am confused about this).

Also, from schematic I got from the interweb, tried to ascertain what resister is used. So purchased 2 of 4r7 5% 58ev. But will likely not replace them.

Here is the schematic I found, some values are different to what was on the xover so whoever put the schematic together may have got things incorrect.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

All looks OK apart from this:

2 x 0.69 mfd (50v) 2 x MA684k 630v (am confused about this).
    I'm not sure what you've been given there.

The value is 0.6uF. I used 0.56uF which is close enough. I have plenty of spares.

That schematic is wrong by the way.

I'm Edward.

All looks OK apart from this:

I'm not sure what you've been given there.

The value is 0.6uF. I used 0.56uF which is close enough. I have plenty of spares.

That schematic is wrong by the way.
    Ah thanks Geoff. Is the new resistor ok or should I leave well alone?

PM incoming btw.

cheers
    Edward

I'm Geoff.

Chances are the resistors are fine, although changing them for the 4.7 ohm ones won't hurt if you want to.

In every photo I've seen online of the Corelli crossover, those resistors are furry. Mine aren't though.

I'm Edward.

Chances are the resistors are fine, although changing them for the 4.7 ohm ones won't hurt if you want to.

In every photo I've seen online of the Corelli crossover, those resistors are furry. Mine aren't though.
    Can one measure the resistance value whilst still in circuit?

On some of the caps I got they will have to stand quite proud due to size issues.

I'm Grant.

not really. you will get spurious readings
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

On some of the caps I got they will have to stand quite proud due to size issues.
    I did mention the size difference. If you think the caps may vibrate against each other, use a little blob of silicone sealant between them. You won't need much. A small tube will be enough. I use clear, but any colour will do obviously.

Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-T...AAAOSw~oFZx873

Some bargain shops or pound shops stock it too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast