+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kef Corelli SP1051 - possible fix and servicing.

I'm jamie.

falcon acoustics are also a good choice for alpcaps edward,probably more choice with them too.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I used alcaps from this seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bipolar-C...BbyjrfSbH0-1Tg

I think they're 50 volt rated or above, more than adequate. You'll find some are larger than the originals. Not a problem. Don't cut the wires too short.

The seller, Cricklewood Electronics will probably not stock the 0.56uF value. I can let you have a couple if you need them.
    Thanks Geoff. I'm gonna try desolder everything tomorrow, measure all the caps, make a list and see how I go. Cricklewood is not far from me so may just pop down there. Let's see if I need 0.56uF and if so will contact you for a price etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    falcon acoustics are also a good choice for alpcaps edward,probably more choice with them too.
    Yes I did notice that they have cap sets for a range of crossovers but not for the Kef one I have. Once I get all the caps off I'll see how I go with either Cricklewood or Falcon.

I suspect I'm overthinking all of this, it is probably all very easy replacing the caps.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

I'd not desolder until you have new parts to fit. It'll save having to keep referring to photos or diagrams to recall where bits went. Don't bother measuring the caps, even if they measure OK, their life expectancy is limited and replacing all is the best route. They are after all, forty years old.

You won't need a price for the 0.56uF. They're free.

I'm pretty certain Falcon will be dearer than Cricklewood Electronics.

Yes. Changing caps is dead easy on these. Disconnect the crossover and take it right out, it's much easier that way. To disconnect the tweeter wires, just pull back the small piece of sleeving to expose the soldered joint. You may need some heat shrink sleeving to replace these.

I'm jamie.

falcon offer a better tolerance on the cap value geoff,thats why they may be slightly more expensive.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Maybe, but the tolerance is not too critical.

I'm Edward.

Thanks Geoff. Good points. I'll remove the xovers make a list and only when I get the new caps (and resistors?) replace them on a one to one basis. Thanks for the free offer.

I was wondering about the tolerances mentioned. Some cheaper caps have a stated tolerance of 20% I wonder if that will make a noticeable audio difference on such old speakers.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm jamie.

it is in my book,if your going to change the caps that work you might as well get them as close to the original designed value as possible no? otherwise why change them?
    but then im fussy about things like that lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

The Alcaps are 10% tolerance. Perfectly adequate. If the resistors measure OK, I'd not worry too much about them.

I'm jamie.

yeah but they do 5% as well
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Edward.

I'll do a price comparison and see what the differences are. If not too much I'll go for the higher spec ones - at the very least when/if I sell the speakers I can say 'audiophile' caps have been used.

But anyway this is only a fun learning project - I really don't need more speakers. My wife was amused when I told her I had got yet another set of speakers - this would be my 6th set. But she could not argue against £12.50.

Why do resistors put a furry coat on? Did they get cold or something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast