+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Reiver Acoustics

I'm Tony.

Thanks Tony,

My Rega's are front ported and work fine close to the wall, so these should be fine.

Certainly they are likely to work better with my room than the Dali Helicon 400s that I was considering...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Well I'm intrigued by these speakers so I'm currently in contact with Toppy directly.

I'm looking to step up from some Rega RS5s that seem to be stretched to the end of their abilities on the end of a very heavily modified Yaqin 100B.

Can I ask for anyone who has them, how do they sound close to the rear wall as I'm a little pushed for space?
    Tony,
    As 'tother Tony mentioned they should be fine close up to a wall. What we can do is fine tune the cabinet alignment to optimise bass performance close up to a wall. This I would do after the speakers have been built and then make small changes to the port tube length until we reach the optimum port length. Should require no more than a 15mm increase in port length. However we would supply you with a slide on port extension tube to sleeve over the port which you can slide to shorten or lengthen the port length to optimise to your room.

I spoke to Scott, my design partner, who commented thus:
    The Edingdale MkII / SR enclosure is designed with quite a well-damped alignment specifically to make it flexible in a variety of room positions. So as-is, it's reasonable near room boundaries. If it's to be placed right up against a heavily constructed wall, then we can tune a little lower to increase the damping of the alignment further. Physically it would be a small increase in vent length, so not difficult & it would still be short enough not to have any worries over vent self-harmonics. There shouldn't be any further changes needed.

Hope this helps?
    Last edited by Toppsy; 10-03-2018 at 12:49. Reason: additional text added

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
    Tony,
    As 'tother Tony mentioned they should be fine close up to a wall. What we can do is fine tune the cabinet alignment to optimise bass performance close up to a wall. This I would do after the speakers have been built and then make small changes to the port tube length until we reach the optimum port length. Should require no more than a 15mm increase in port length. However we would supply you with a slide on port extension tube to sleeve over the port which you can slide to shorten or lengthen the port length to optimise to your room.

I spoke to Scott, my design partner, who commented thus:
    The Edingdale MkII / SR enclosure is designed with quite a well-damped alignment specifically to make it flexible in a variety of room positions. So as-is, it's reasonable near room boundaries. If it's to be placed right up against a heavily constructed wall, then we can tune a little lower to increase the damping of the alignment further. Physically it would be a small increase in vent length, so not difficult & it would still be short enough not to have any worries over vent self-harmonics. There shouldn't be any further changes needed.

Hope this helps?
    Ok sounds good Colin,

I'll give you a call...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Tony.

OK, it looks like I'm going to join the club

I'm tony.

A wee update....

The big Eddies are really starting to come on song.

I made too many system changes around the time i received them-

I changed my lap top/went to a lavri usb/ plumbed in EWA LS25/ went EWA power with my tq claymore as pre....then started mucking about with high end ingredients for ICs,

Brian made me a few interconnects, dipping our toe in the world of silver wire...well worth it IMHO.

My system is now sounding pretty good to my ears.

The big eddies have loosened up -the treble is far smoother with the bass feeling far more prominent and integrated -midrange was always exquisite and remains so.

Gary has MK1s and said they would take maybe a year to to settle down -he wasn't wrong.

The two Colins(Mr Wonfor and Mr Topps) have enable me to have a mighty fine noise in my listening room.

Will give it another six months to conclusively prove Gary's hypothesise.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good they’re doing the business Tony, great speakers these.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Tony, good to hear your still alive n kicking!
    The Brian fella, Ali and I need to get over again soon, been too long mate.

The Big E's are about as "Buyers remorse" free as any purchase you can make, great they are doing the business for you.
    You've been through so many speakers in your journey, the wee mans done well out it but good your sorted.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Brian.

Aye , these sounded pretty good in your room from the off . I think we all knew that there was more to come . Happy you're reaping the rewards mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm tony.

Mr Wonfor is making a visit to Gods country later this summer-all going well he can get across here and try my cooking.

Have another visit to the saw doctor in the near future....all going well having the troops across for a wee get together would be good!!!

I'm Colin.

Hi Tony and Gang,

Yes I planed to come this or next week, then last week (Friday) the plumber came to fit a wet room so he said he be with us for 6day, then yesterday my poor Maria was rushed from work with a heart attack so she is staying in hospital so it will not be a trip until the week after my birthday at least i.e. 28th Aug onwards sorry Tony.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast