+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is 'What It Sounds Like' All That Matters'?

I'm Geoff.

My recollection is that the term found favour in the later eighties.

I'm Martin.

I think it is generally attributed to Harry Pearson from The Absolute Sound magazine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_...(audio_critic)
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not sure who actually coined the phrase "high end", but it used to mean the better, and more expensive, of the high fidelity gear available. It is said that Mark Levinson exemplified the 'high end' in offering "cost no object" products.
    Ah, yes, couldn't bring the marque to mind. Mark Levison, the American Naim (as I read in a mag. once). You may well be right, as may Martin, ascribing the term to Harry Pearson. I think the Americans had a lot more 'esoteric' stuff (with concomitant prices, esp. over here) than us, or even Europe. Possibly the onset of CDs in 1982 had the effect of reviving hifi generally, ultimately giving analogue kit (esp. vinyl front ends) a design boost and later revival.

As I bought an LP12 and started on that band-wagon in 1982, I was well behind the curve; took me nearly 20 more years to embrace the format. I'm not sure if it's largely the well established big brands that have gone 'ultra' high-end, like Naim, going from circa £40K 552/500 to £130K+ Statements or smaller companies concentrating above a price level (e.g. Vitus). Obviously there's a market, but there may well be a lot more high-end money out there nowadays with musical 'notes'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910