+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUT Problem - Help needed

I'm martin.

Talking SUT Problem - Help needed

Hi everyone,

I've been having troubles with this home made SUT - I'm using 2 EMI BBC 1:30 input transformers with resistance of 12.47 KOhms and 42.4 Ohms but can't get any sound out of low output (0.2Mv) Entre 1 cartridge.

The cartridge is fine - I'm running it straight into gain adjustable phono stage and it plays great.
    The transformers seem fine - I've used them in the past with Denon DL103 and AT-OC05 and 09 and just today I ran the sound out of cassette player into them and checked on multimeter and got correct voltage.

I can't get any measurable signal out of it when connecting this LOMC. Is there anything like not enough current from the cartridge to overpower the impedence of the coils of the SUT or any other aspect that I might be underestimating?

I've got a few other home made SUTs and they all work fine. I've found Tamura input transformers from Otari reel to reel to be particularly good.

Thanks!

I'm gordan.

did you connect correctly?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    did you connect correctly?
    Yes, connected properly and verified on multimeter that it's working fine with higher output from cassette player.
    Uzgred, i ja sam iz Beograda, Dorcol.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Have you connected the output of the SUT to the disc input of an amplifier? Was there no audible output?

Assuming an input impedance of 47KOhm for the disc input, and with the figures you provide for the SUT, the impedance presented to the Entré MC cartridge will be 108.5Ohm. Given the 3.5Ohm coil impedance of the cartridge this loading impedance ought to be quite satisfactory (Entré recommend > 30Ohm).

Again given the coil winding resistances and the nominal turns-ratio of 1:30, the 0.2mV output from the cartridge will be boosted to 4.3mV: an acceptable figure.

How did you measure the winding resistances?
    Barry

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have you connected the output of the SUT to the disc input of an amplifier? Was there no audible output?

Assuming an input impedance of 47KOhm for the disc input, and with the figures you provide for the SUT, the impedance presented to the Entré MC cartridge will be 108.5Ohm. Given the 3.5Ohm coil impedance of the cartridge this loading impedance ought to be quite satisfactory (Entré recommend > 30Ohm).

Again given the coil winding resistances and the nominal turns-ratio of 1:30, the 0.2mV output from the cartridge will be boosted to 4.3mV: an acceptable figure.

How did you measure the winding resistances?
    Hi Barry, I've got it connected to phono stage, but the input impedence is not 47Kohm - i've got the jumpers to present less of a load - around 100 ohms (if I'm correct). I measured winding resistances with a multimeter.
    I'll try connecting it directly into an ampifier - phono stage might be tripping or something?
    Last edited by martinswimmer; 28-01-2018 at 15:02.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you're loading the output of your SUT with 100Ohms, I'm not surprised you can't hear anything.

Change the input impedance of your phonostage back to 47KOhm.
    Barry

I'm martin.

If you're loading the output of your SUT with 100Ohms, I'm not surprised you can't hear anything.

LOL - thanks, I'll try that.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    I measured winding resistances with a multimeter.
    It’s never a good idea to measure the winding resistance with a multimeter, you could end up magnetising the core of the transformer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Hi Barry, I've got it connected to phono stage, but the input impedence is not 47Kohm - i've got the jumpers to present less of a load - around 100 ohms (if I'm correct).
    No, I'm not surprised either. 100 ohms on the secondary and a 1:30 turns ratio will present the cartridge with a load of just 0.1 ohms - near as damn it a dead short.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    It’s never a good idea to measure the winding resistance with a multimeter, you could end up magnetising the core of the transformer.
    Yes, that's true. It's tempting to do because it's an easy way of identifying windings and checking there are no breaks in the windings but it can magnetise the core. Fortunately it's easy to demagnetise the core with a signal generator.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No, I'm not surprised either. 100 ohms on the secondary and a 1:30 turns ratio will present the cartridge with a load of just 0.1 ohms - near as damn it a dead short.

Yes, that's true. It's tempting to do because it's an easy way of identifying windings and checking there are no breaks in the windings but it can magnetise the core. Fortunately it's easy to demagnetise the core with a signal generator.
    Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I need to measure resistance to find out what are these transformers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast