+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave your SS amp on all the time ?

I'm Steve.

Only thing I turn off is the TT, everything else on 24/7. I pass the TV audio though the DAC and into the amp so it gets used a lot with 3 kids in the house. ��
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Leaving gear on could invalidate your home insurance.
    Why? As far as insurance companies are concerned, hifi kit probably equates with appliances. Fridges/freezers and other appliances either on 24/7 or overnight are as liable to malfunction (Grenfell Tower, e.g.). Besides, a modern electrical supply installation is about as safe as it's been in history.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Why? As far as insurance companies are concerned, hifi kit probably equates with appliances. Fridges/freezers and other appliances either on 24/7 or overnight are as liable to malfunction (Grenfell Tower, e.g.). Besides, a modern electrical supply installation is about as safe as it's been in history.
    Read your T&C's have you?

I'm Phil.

if i left my amps on we would need no central heating on !!! heaven knows what the leccie bill would be . yes maybe a nice class d amp could be left on but not most amps . whats the point anyway ? they sound fine after a few mins
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    if i left my amps on we would need no central heating on !!! heaven knows what the leccie bill would be . yes maybe a nice class d amp could be left on but not most amps . whats the point anyway ? they sound fine after a few mins
    Some do say that leaving them on all the time stresses the components less than starting up and shutting down. So there is an argument from reliability as well as sound quality. Electronic engineers seem to be divided on the reliability argument. You'd imagine someone, somewhere has done soak-off tests and published the results but if they have I have never seen anyone link to them whenever this subject comes up on forums. Which is pretty often.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some do say that leaving them on all the time stresses the components less than starting up and shutting down.
    The same has been said of light bulbs. Not seen any evidence though.

I'm Martin.

The same has been said of light bulbs. Not seen any evidence though.
    Light bulbs do tend to fail on switch on more often than just blow when already on but that's because they are light bulbs not amplifiers. The old type you can't buy no more I mean. I don't know how these mercury-filled 'eco friendly' jobs blow because it has never happened to me yet. I've got a few that are coming up to ten years of use.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Poxy LED household bulbs seem to last about two months.

I'm Martin.

Poxy LED household bulbs seem to last about two months.
    LED go a lot quicker. I got sent a big box of the mercury vapour jobbies free of charge by the power company ten years ago. I've only used 3. I used to replace incandescents every 3 to 6 months. I've never replaced these, still using the original 3 bulbs and one gets used every day. At this rate that box-full will last me out. One less expense. Use less leccy too.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mike.

Read your T&C's have you?
    To the letter. Of course, the A-V section (acc. damage) is separate from the contents (which would include appliances). I've yet to read ANY directions/exclusions/caveats/whatever regarding usage of A-V kit, except for the usual (adaptations, irregular repairs etc.) in any policy I've had in the past decades. Understandably, if it came to the crunch of a sizable claim, questions might be asked, but who's to know what operational system you use for your hifi ?

Expanding on this theme, dedicated supply installations might be frowned upon, even though they meet reg's and are passed by the sparks, for the simple reason that they're not on a standard domestic ring main. It could be argued, though, that they're safer if properly and fully installed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast