+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you leave your SS amp on all the time ?

I'm Mike.

Yes, there was something about the 57s, and mine did take a fair time to really get going. I'm surprised about the Summit Xs, though, Phil. I'm pretty convinced that there's no advantage in leaving my 2905s on, and twice a week probably wouldn't warrant it even if it was recommended, though at least the consumption is only around 2 amp's, I believe.

I suppose the only way to be sure is to ask Quad in Huntingdon. My friend with 988s turns his off. Maybe the later models don't reflect Peter Walker's advice.

I'm gone.

Off.
    With rare exceptions where my befuddled brain tells me it really did make a difference.
    My about to depart Auralic DAC was one of these - I'm convinced it took over an hour to come on song and it was fairly ordinary before that. Quite superb in many ways after that, though. My Wadia 151 PowerDAC is another that I keep on 24/7 when it is in play in my system.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    One of those Eco friendly, curly glass bulbs proved to me why certain electrical goods should be switched off. Last year we had one of those spark, drop hot bits onto the table and start to burn. I dread to think what would have happened if we had been out or even out of the room..
    Nightmare. Without deviating the thread too much, I changed every bulb in our place to modern LED type just last year. Quality of light so much nicer than those bloody awful cfl types.

As for the hifi, well most modern kit from well respected manufacturers nowadays has a standby function which is designed to barely use any electricity. Like our TV which even when you press the off button there's still a LED showing and pressing a button on the remote activates it again. I'd imagine the only way to stop that would be to unplug the thing, which I'm too lazy to do.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Dave.

We have three TVs and all can be switched off completely by a separate on/off switch not just standby.

After the lightbulb debacle, I did a bit of Googling and there was quite a lot on there. After that, we got rid of all those curly, mini neon, bulbs and replaced with conventional shaped LED bulbs. Hopefully, they are safer.

I'm gone.

I vaguely recall there was an EU plan to ban standby mode on household electronics.
    Over millions of items they use one hell of a lot of energy.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    We have three TVs and all can be switched off completely by a separate on/off switch not just standby.
    After nearly seven years with our excellent Sony, I'm still looking for an on/off switch. Even allowing for my eyesight, I feel I should have found one by now.

I'm Alex.

I leave the AN CDT3, the DDDAC and ATC SCA2 on permanently but the ATC50A`s get turned off.

Digital stuff sounds horrible for the first hour or so when just switched on, but as I listen for about 2 hours at a time I couldn't stand the waiting.

The 50A`s need 1/2 hour before a listening session.

I'm Neil.

Default Do you leave your SS amp on all the time ?

It’s on most of the time. The DAC goes off more because it runs in class A and the DAC chip runs hot. If I know my system won’t be played for the day then off it goes.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bruce.

Twenty years back Theta DS Pro Gen V DAC only got its chops after powered up for 48 hours. Unplug it for a minute and you had to start all over. Reportedly the Yggdrasil (same designer) has the same sort of behaviour. My Classe Audio preamplifier had no power switch. The Classe Audio power amp did better after warmed up for 20-30 minutes, but could be switched off and back on without penalty. ...So I keep the full system on all the time unless I'm going to be away for a few days.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456