+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you leave your SS amp on all the time ?

I'm Dan.

Amps off when not in use....
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Mike.

When I had virtually all Naim, on 24/7. Now with valves, off, obviously. Naim tuner only thing on 24/7. TV on stand-by when not in use as there's no on/off switch and the only TV repair I've ever had was occasioned by a dry joint caused by turning on/off (admittedly that was a CRT)

I was lead to believe that charging and discharging capacitors frequently reduced their life. Furthermore, electronics like to be kept fairly warm.

On the other hand, cheaper kit which is many decades old still works flawlessly, so more upmarket kit should be more robust (theory !!!). My jury's out on this one, though my 01 tuner is 27 years old, unserviced, works perfectly and sounds superb.

Think it depends upon the kit and your domestic supply infrastructure, but I would suggest, if leaving on, that a serviceable RCD is in the circuit. My individual radials each have their own, so only one piece of kit could be affected should anything happen.

I'm Andy.

Ive seen both sides of the argument including Jez's experinece of so may repairs being due to heat from kit being left on. What rarely gets discussed are our listening habits. If I listened more than once a day, every day, I'd be more inclined to leave my amp on. If I only listened at weekends, or occasionally, I'd be far less inclined to do so. I'd also factor in how hot my amp got when on idle.

Given that I'm an occasional listener and my amp gets hot, I'm an "off" guy.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Jez said it should all be turned off, but was happy for folk to leave things on as it provided work for him.
    Oh yeah, I remember now and that it did make me chuckle at the time
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Mike.

Off every night.

On every morning
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Neil.

After a DAC of mine caught fire, everything is switched off, way too risky to leave gear on. I managed to get the DAC disconnected and out of the house (always wondered if I could do that with a piece of electronics burning, not easy but I could) but the smell lingered for nearly a week.

Switch it all off is my opinion now, regardless of whether it sounds better left on.
    Regards Neil

I'm M.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Off every night.

On every morning
    +1

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Anyone leave their Solid State amplifier on all the time ?
    Standby, only off if im away, makes bugger all dif to the sound this end
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    After a DAC of mine caught fire, everything is switched off, way too risky to leave gear on. I managed to get the DAC disconnected and out of the house (always wondered if I could do that with a piece of electronics burning, not easy but I could) but the smell lingered for nearly a week.

Switch it all off is my opinion now, regardless of whether it sounds better left on.
    Something to consider, nah this road lies madness, should i turn fridge off? It gets hot, supposed to?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Leaving gear on could invalidate your home insurance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast