+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BKSabath - Your inbox is full!!!

I'm Svend.

Thanks Oliver.

So, just to make sure I have it right (I don't use XLRs), the shield is effectively grounded on both ends. Equivalent to grounding it at both ends if using only RCAs. Correct?

Edit: to clarify, the black wire in the drawing is the shield, and Pin 1 is drain...right? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here. I don't work with XLRs.
    Last edited by Svend N; 01-02-2018 at 14:06.

Bigman80 Guest

Ha, dont worry.

If its an RCA - RCA i attach the shield at one end only. Red to hot, Blue to return and shield to return at one end then red to hot , blue to return at the other.

I'm Gary.

I found for general RCA/RCA I didn't use the drain, this sounded best on my system.

The deck to head amp I used the drain/return at deck end otherwise I heard a slight hum. Probably sensitive due to LOMC.

Bigman80 Guest

I found unshielded was noisy when using a HA or SUT so always use the shield too. for digital i dont bother with the shield.

I'm Svend.

Thanks guys - very helpful. As mentioned, I roll my own cables. There's so much contradictory info out there on how to build DIY cables and types to use -- coax, twisted pair, star quad. Good to have some insight from those who've done a few.

Oilver -- yours is the same technique I use for RCA-RCA. Shield connected to ground only at one end. I read somewhere that this end should be connected at the source with the unterminated shield end at target, but I'm not so sure how that holds up along the chain, say from preamp to power amp.

BTW, if you can find it, you might try Belden 8402 or 8412 some time. I've had great luck with it. Seems highly regarded among the DIY crowd. Very transparent and smooth sounding. They have the same layup as your Klotz MC5000.

I've got some Mogami 2524 coax that I want to try soon. It's supposed to be very nice sounding as well.

Bigman80 Guest

I'll have a look into those. Always willing to try new cables.

I'm Svend.

Here's a link with some info on the 8402 ICs:

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

A web search should turn up plenty of other reviews. If you can't find 8402, try 8412 -- from the spec sheets it looks to be virtually the same and is probably easier to find....I've used both and they work equally well to my ears.

I'll let you know how the Mogami works out...might make some up tonight, now that I'm in the mood

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Here's a link with some info on the 8402 ICs:

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

A web search should turn up plenty of other reviews. If you can't find 8402, try 8412 -- from the spec sheets it looks to be virtually the same and is probably easier to find....I've used it as well and it works great.

I'll let you know how the Mogami works out...might make some up tonight, now that I'm in the mood
    Cool.

I'm Svend.

Let me know if you try it

Bigman80 Guest

Will do!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast