+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BKSabath - Your inbox is full!!!

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post

Oilver -- yours is the same technique I use for RCA-RCA. Shield connected to ground only at one end. I read somewhere that this end should be connected at the source with the unterminated shield end at target, but I'm not so sure how that holds up along the chain, say from preamp to power amp
    Work pretty well if you equipment is grounded . chassis ground as same equipotential so the screen is redundant
    And can generate a noise gogle up see ground loop.

Belden is good but Klotz is just ...
    One can ear the difference immediately

I'm Svend.

Sandro -- so you've tried Belden 8402 then? Interesting that you find Klotz sounds better, as I find the Belden pretty darn good. Hard to imagine anything more transparent. Makes me want to try some Klotz cable now. It seems I can only get the MC5000 here as part of a pre-made mic cable, not as bulk. Might have to suck it up and pay the extra if I want some.

Bigman80 Guest

Sandro -- so you've tried Belden 8402 then? Interesting that you find Klotz sounds better, as I find the Belden pretty darn good. Hard to imagine anything more transparent. Makes me want to try some Klotz cable now. It seems I can only get the MC5000 here as part of a pre-made mic cable, not as bulk. Might have to suck it up and pay the extra if I want some.
    Studiospares is where I buy it, they deliver anywhere I think

I'm Svend.

Thanks Oliver -- I'll check 'em out.

BTW, made up the Mogami 2524 ICs last night. Haven't played them yet, but that's coming soon...

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Oliver -- I'll check 'em out.

BTW, made up the Mogami 2524 ICs last night. Haven't played them yet, but that's coming soon...
    Ha, you're as bad as me!! I've got a pair of Klotz to knock up with some REALLY great plugs I've found and some GAC-1 Ultimate cable to play with.

I'm Sandro.

Well In your shoes I would be very nice to Bigman80 / Oliver to make you a pair...

I'm Sandro.

I got a link for the 8412 cable in the UK
    https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/6...12-CABLE-Black

I'm Svend.

Go for it Sandro

Well guys, I tried the Mogami 2524 ICs this morning, and have mixed impressions. Granted they're not burned in yet, and I will leave them in for a month or so and do the comparo again to be fair.

I used them on my CDP, a hot-rodded Teac VRDS-10, played a few tracks through the Belden 8412s and then same through the Mogamis.

Pros: more detail, better imaging (amazing really, pinpoint stuff), more air, very quick sounding. The detail and imaging really are remarkable, great presence of instruments and voice in the room.

Cons: lighter overall presentation than the Beldens, tending toward bright and analytical (maybe needs burn-in?); noticeably less full bass and midrange. Soundstage seems smaller, but this may be a mind trick because of the lighter mids and bass. If all of this doesn't improve with burn-in then they won't be a good match for my system, as since the mods to my preamp it's much more open and detailed in the highs, and these ICs are pushing that over the edge of pleasant.

As a general observation, I've noticed the same character with other coax cables on the Teac -- much brighter and thinner than the Belden 8412, which is a twisted pair w. shield similar to the MC5000.

Now if I could find a cable that combines the best of both...Wow! That'd be a killer.

Best,
    Svend

Bigman80 Guest

Go for it Sandro

Well guys, I tried the Mogami 2524 ICs this morning, and have mixed impressions. Granted they're not burned in yet, and I will leave them in for a month or so and do the comparo again to be fair.

I used them on my CDP, a hot-rodded Teac VRDS-10, played a few tracks through the Belden 8412s and then same through the Mogamis.

Pros: more detail, better imaging (amazing really, pinpoint stuff), more air, very quick sounding. The detail and imaging really are remarkable, great presence of instruments and voice in the room.

Cons: lighter overall presentation than the Beldens, tending toward bright and analytical (maybe needs burn-in?); noticeably less full bass and midrange. Soundstage seems smaller, but this may be a mind trick because of the lighter mids and bass. If all of this doesn't improve with burn-in then they won't be a good match for my system, as since the mods to my preamp it's much more open and detailed in the highs, and these ICs are pushing that over the edge of pleasant.

As a general observation, I've noticed the same character with other coax cables on the Teac -- much brighter and thinner than the Belden 8412, which is a twisted pair w. shield similar to the MC5000.

Now if I could find a cable that combines the best of both...Wow! That'd be a killer.

Best,
    Svend
    Klotz.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Klotz.
    Knew you'd say that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast