+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Marantz CD-94, Philips CD-960 or similar CDM-1 CDP or transport

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I did post some suggestions on your original thread here.......
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-arm-mechanism

The Marantz CD 84 has been re-listed and is still available.....
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122973204...m=122973204763

and the CD 85 is still available but a bit pricey I suppose......
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARANTZ-C...0AAOSwrP9Z29GN

Jim
    Yes I got very excited about some of these but none are what I've set my sight for for which is a CDM-1 with SPDIF output, not an earlier CDM-1 model with no SPDIF or a later CDM-1 MkII machine which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I'm James.

According to the Dutch Classics site the CD 85 is a CDM-1..................
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the...onverter_list/

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/mar...d85_cdplayer/#

Should be right up your street.

Jim

P.S. Ah I see, it's a MK II version.
    Why are you not interested in this version?

montesquieu Guest

According to the Dutch Classics site the CD 85 is a CDM-1..................
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the...onverter_list/

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/mar...d85_cdplayer/#

Should be right up your street.

Jim

P.S. Ah I see, it's a MK II version.
    Why are you not interested in this version?
    From what I've read the CDM-1 MkII is actually a pimped CDM-4 (metal version of the plastic CDM-4). This could well be wrong certainly it's not always sensible to believe everything you read on the internet, but I'm trying my best to get a MkI if I can.

If I really can't find one in good order for sensible money, then I'll consider other options.

I really knew nothing about these mechanisms when I started looking a month or so back but there are (apparently) still CDM-1 machines out there if you look and for the purposes of the project I have in mind, I'm prepared to wait for one.

EDIT here was one of the sources of that info http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/spec...cd-mechanisms/

Chronologically (according to the link) the mechanisms appeared in this order:

CDM-0
    CDM-1
    CDM-2
    CDM-3
    CDM-4
    CDM-1 mkII
    CDM-9
    CD-Pro
    Last edited by montesquieu; 28-02-2018 at 23:40.

I'm Lawrence.

I loved my cd94 mk2 I ran it without a dac, it had a lovely organic sound from those 2 single crown chips.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    From what I've read the CDM-1 MkII is actually a pimped CDM-4 (metal version of the plastic CDM-4). This could well be wrong certainly it's not always sensible to believe everything you read on the internet, but I'm trying my best to get a MkI if I can.
    Fair enough and looking at the pictures in the link I posted I think you may be correct. Certainly the Clamper Mechanism looks very CDM-4. As far as I am concerned this was a very widely used Laser Mech but to me seemed very unreliable. A lot of Players used the CDM-4 but I saw a lot of 'em back for repair.

I am curious about your project. What are you wanting to do?

Could you get a CDM-1 (MK1) in a player with perhaps not the electronics you want (no SPDIF) and marry it with the electronics from a more recent Player to give you SPDIF.
    This is exactly what I have done. I took the Laser from a CD-104 and put it with the electronics from the Philips CD-473. This gives me access to proper 16bit i2S and SPDIF.
    Maybe your modding guru could do something similar? There's lots of CD-104's out there. I know it's a great player and some may consider it sacrilege to 'butcher' one in this way, but, needs must !!

Jim.

montesquieu Guest

Fair enough and looking at the pictures in the link I posted I think you may be correct. Certainly the Clamper Mechanism looks very CDM-4. As far as I am concerned this was a very widely used Laser Mech but to me seemed very unreliable. A lot of Players used the CDM-4 but I saw a lot of 'em back for repair.

I am curious about your project. What are you wanting to do?

Could you get a CDM-1 (MK1) in a player with perhaps not the electronics you want (no SPDIF) and marry it with the electronics from a more recent Player to give you SPDIF.
    This is exactly what I have done. I took the Laser from a CD-104 and put it with the electronics from the Philips CD-473. This gives me access to proper 16bit i2S and SPDIF.
    Maybe your modding guru could do something similar? There's lots of CD-104's out there. I know it's a great player and some may consider it sacrilege to 'butcher' one in this way, but, needs must !!

Jim.
    I’m concerned with two things - durability of the mechanism (don’t want to spend cash on something that will fail soon after) and ease of modding. The plan is to add (internally) a tube-regulated master clock to the clock input, and a tube buffer to the resulting SPDIF output as it comes out the other side. Where there are opportunities for power supply improvements we might do that as well. Only the digital side will be modded though with SPDIF taken out directly to feed my Audio Note DAC.

Actually I’d love to do something with a 104 or another of the other early players - they are both bombproof and look really cool - but I had no idea what you suggest is possible - everything I’ve read suggests you can’t get SPDIF out as they predate it’s invention! I’ve had instructions to look for a CDM-1 machine with SPDIF, previously unmodded. I imagine that for this mod it’s the most straightforward setup to work with.

Whether this will provide an improvement on my existing Audio Note CDT2/II transport - which is far from shabby - I have no idea. This is really an exercise in curiosity. Another reason I don’t necessarily want to spend a fortune on the original player.

montesquieu Guest

Ah just see what you meant - the other way round. Put a CDM-1 laser from a pre-SPDIF machine into a later player. I'm surprised that would work but the only mechanism I'm in any way familar with is the CDPro2LF which is what's in my Audio Note and there, everything is built into the single unit.

Sounds worth exploring .. do you think the earlier laser unit would drop into for example a CDM-4 or CDM-1 MkII player? Potential best of both worlds as you say (so long as it would work). It's not something I'd be confident doing myself though.

I'm James.

It certainly wasn't 'Plug & Play' !!
    No, some modification was required. I added a 'Ribbon' (wired) connector to the relevent points on the CDM-1 and connected them to the correct points on the Laser Ribbon connector on the CD473 PCB and it worked !

The Alignment doesn't work as per either unit's Manual but I am no-where near the upper limit of the CDM-1's Laser Current so it is not being stressed at all.
    It has been working away for years now, off and on, my usual Player is a Pioneer but the 'Philips hybrid' is pressed into service when I want a change or need a source for something else I'm building. I dropped the bloody thing though a month or two ago and the case was bent and it stopped working. That was due to somehow the Focus Coil housing becoming bent. Straightened it and on it continues to work. You are right when you say these Laser's are Bomb proof !!!!

I am in the middle of re-housing it all at the moment. If I can take some pics at the weekend for you I will.

Keep us posted re your progress, I for one am very interested in the outcome. Most curious about the SPDIF Valve O/P stage !!

Jim.

I'm James.

A couple of cd-94s ont bay at mo
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    A couple of cd-94s ont bay at mo
    Two Germany yes and at silly prices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast