+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what the options are for CDM swign arm mechanism?

montesquieu Guest

Default Anyone know what the options are for CDM swign arm mechanism?

I'm looking at a transport project and wondering what the options are ...

Looking for a CDM swing arm mechanism, one of the following:

CDM-0
    CDM-1 (most preferred option I think)
    CDM-2
    CDM-3
    CDM-4
    CDM-1 mkII
    CDM-9
    CD-Pro

Preferably in a small footprint (less than the usual 430mm width - probably half width or 350mm).

It will probably be a transport so the actual DAC chip on board doesn't matter so much.

So much the better if someone has one kicking around

(Not sure if this is a DIY post, Digital or Past Masters - and I might post a WTB in the classifieds at some stage as well).
    Last edited by montesquieu; 25-01-2018 at 18:01.

I'm Neil.

Most of these transports are very old. The most reliable are the CDM1, CDM1mk2 and CDM4. They read everything including CD-RWs.

The CD-Pro is not a swingarm, but the easiest to buy new.

Forget about the CDM0 and CDM2 as they are much rarer. I don’t think the CDM9 was as reliable as the aforementioned, but IIRC this is fixed by replacing a degraded cog.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Most of these transports are very old. The most reliable are the CDM1, CDM1mk2 and CDM4. They read everything including CD-RWs.

The CD-Pro is not a swingarm, but the easiest to buy new.

Forget about the CDM0 and CDM2 as they are much rarer. I don’t think the CDM9 was as reliable as the aforementioned, but IIRC this is fixed by replacing a degraded cog.
    I found a list of what players have what transport so I guess it's just looking at ebay and stuff.

What I was looking for was actual model suggestions

I'm Neil.

Rotel 965BX as a low price, low risk, popular and very reliable choice.

You will have a lot of difficulty sourcing a half width swingarm transport.

Bear in mind that although the transports themselves are fantastic, it is often the case that the SPDIF output is not the best. Pioneer and Sony tend to do better in this area. Your DAC may or may not care about this - some are not jitter sensitive, but others are.

Ensure that if you do buy a swingarm transport that the listing clearly states that it will be shipped with the transport locking bolts in place.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/

CD 304 MK II
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Phi...mkII_cdplayer/

CDM-1, TDA1541 and with SPDIF Out too by the looks of the pics in the above Link. Looks like a lovely Player, now, just to find one...................!

Jim.

P.S. The MK I uses two TDA1540 DAC, the original 14 bit DAC chip and has no SPDIF out. Never found a circuit for getting SPDIF out from this chip set.
    Last edited by JimC; 02-02-2018 at 23:27. Reason: Added a PS

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/

CD 304 MK II
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Phi...mkII_cdplayer/

CDM-1, TDA1541 and with SPDIF Out too by the looks of the pics in the above Link. Looks like a lovely Player, now, just to find one...................!

Jim.

P.S. The MK I uses two TDA1540 DAC, the original 14 bit DAC chip and has no SPDIF out. Never found a circuit for getting SPDIF out from this chip set.
    Thanks - appreciated.

I'm James.

Also look at the Marantz range in the 'Dutch Classic' Web site.
    CD84/85/94/95/99 etc etc.
    All use the CDM-1 and have the TDA1541 DAC. If they haven't got SPDIF out then as it's the TDA1541, its Digital Filter chip should have it on one of its pins. A 74HCU04 and a little Transformer and it'd be easy to add it.

Jim.

I'm James.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-C...QAAOSw4DJYfRwF

There's an RCA labelled as ''NC'' on the back. I'm sure that'd be really easy to get SPDIF out of there. Will look at the Service Manual when I get back from work.
    Bloody work getting in the way of fun !!!

Jim.

I'm James.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I found a list of what players have what transport so I guess it's just looking at ebay and stuff.

What I was looking for was actual model suggestions
    Have you got a link to the list, Tom? I'll see what I've got here. Sold a few but I still have about ten players of various types stashed away.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast