+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: DIY BMU build

  1. #21
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 4,428
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Yes, some mechanical isolation on the transformer. Also is the transformer potted? If not you can place it on some mylar sheet or acetate heat laminator pocket and pump in some epoxy resin into the hole in the transformer. You will need to drill a hole for the fixing bolt.
    Ooh nice. Like this too.
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Rothwell MCX SUT > Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > Oliver's IC Cables Throughout

  2. #22
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 4,428
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Attachment 22584
    What is the transformer size ?

    DC Blocker ? twist wires ? earth Bus ? (single wires from start point to one single point)
    Earth lift ?
    750va

    It's a mechanical hum. Will twisting the wires help?
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Rothwell MCX SUT > Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > Oliver's IC Cables Throughout

  3. #23
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: Liverpool

    Posts: 207
    I'm Sandro.

    Default

    Probably not but...
    Is it there all the time or when under load ?
    Traffo make ? (silly question)

  4. #24
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 4,428
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Probably not but...
    Is it there all the time or when under load ?
    Traffo make ? (silly question)
    There all the time

    Made by Airlink
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Rothwell MCX SUT > Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > Oliver's IC Cables Throughout

  5. #25
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: Liverpool

    Posts: 207
    I'm Sandro.

    Default

    I got a couple of 1000 VA from Canterbury (for the F5) and ,I did ask for audio Quality, they where making a racket, once you ear it you know is there, I complained and sent one back, It was sent away to be Vacum dipped and came back whit no Hum

    If noise is there alla time probably same windings probably are not tight enough and dipping it may solve it ?

  6. #26
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 4,428
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    I got a couple of 1000 VA from Canterbury (for the F5) and ,I did ask for audio Quality, they where making a racket, once you ear it you know is there, I complained and sent one back, It was sent away to be Vacum dipped and came back whit no Hum

    If noise is there alla time probably same windings probably are not tight enough and dipping it may solve it ?
    Dipping it? I've not heard of that.
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Rothwell MCX SUT > Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > Oliver's IC Cables Throughout

  7. #27
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: Liverpool

    Posts: 207
    I'm Sandro.

    Default

    They Put the transformer in a autoclave inside a bucket of varnish/laquer, same time under vacuum not sure about the temperature 150C ?
    Heat and vacuum get rid of air trapped between windings and as it cool down the spaces are filled by the varnish this stop the vibrations alegedley

    Quote from Airlink
    Advanced Filter Power Supply


    • Avery Magnetics Advanced High Current 20A Filter
    • Primary to Secondary Copper Foil Antistatic Screen
    • Low Flux Density to Minimise Noise
    • Lacquer Dipped Cores, Primary and Secondary Windings



    End quote

    Did you get in touch whit them and told them about the Noise?

    IMO if I ever buy a trafo that big again I try Toroidy

  8. #28
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 4,428
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    They Put the transformer in a autoclave inside a bucket of varnish/laquer, same time under vacuum not sure about the temperature 150C ?
    Heat and vacuum get rid of air trapped between windings and as it cool down the spaces are filled by the varnish this stop the vibrations alegedley

    Quote from Airlink
    Advanced Filter Power Supply


    • Avery Magnetics Advanced High Current 20A Filter
    • Primary to Secondary Copper Foil Antistatic Screen
    • Low Flux Density to Minimise Noise
    • Lacquer Dipped Cores, Primary and Secondary Windings



    End quote

    Did you get in touch whit them and told them about the Noise?

    IMO if I ever buy a trafo that big again I try Toroidy
    I have, they are sending a new one. I will make some effort to deaden the case too as that's in my capabilities
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Rothwell MCX SUT > Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves) > Slagle AVC Passive Preamp > Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers > Oliver's IC Cables Throughout

  9. #29
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: The Black Country

    Posts: 3,913
    I'm Alan.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    IMO if I ever buy a trafo that big again I try Toroidy
    If you are buying from Toroidy make sure you order the correct spec.

    They also make 'industrial' transformers that are not necessarily silent.

    Firebottle - for the no bottleneck approach.

    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

  10. #30
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: Liverpool

    Posts: 207
    I'm Sandro.

    Default

    Saving up for my next project
    Papa F6
    https://sklep.toroidy.pl/en_US/p/TTS...age-to-50V/415
    Got the capacitors most of the other bits and a 25Kg Copper heat sink already.

    The heat sink is a real monster came out of 150 Kw Danfoss Inverter

    Soon on those screens (well do not hold your breath)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •