+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with my KEF Reference Series Model One speakers?

I'm Jon.

Default What to do with my KEF Reference Series Model One speakers?

Bought these circa 1999 (ex-dem) and much enjoyment they have given me. A couple of years back I had the crossovers completely rebuilt, the internal wiring replaced and new terminals installed by Paul at RFC (what a guy!).

A year or so again they seemed to have gone 'off song' a little and, after much agonising, I decided to retire them and ended up replacing them with a pair of ELAC FS267s.

I now find that I need to create more space in my listening room, meaning that the KEFs need a new home, but before finally parting with them I thought I should try to establish what might be wrong with them.

It didn't take long to discover that the most likely cause was that tweeter (NT25) ferrofluid had dried out and needed to be replaced (sadly, spares are no longer available). Ferrofluid of the appropriate type is not difficult to obtain, nor are instructions for the removal of the tweeter from the Uni-Q and the removal and replacement of the dried ferrofluid.

My dilemma is whether or not to attempt this myself with a view to selling on the KEFs or to offer for sale 'as is', and priced accordingly, with the clear caveat that they will need some TLC. Of course, I could just take them to the municipal recycling centre and save myself the trouble of fixing them and the hassle of selling them, which would be a shame as the rosewood cabinets, whilst not 'as new', remain in good condition.

Any advice appreciated, but especially from those who have experience of replacing the ferrofluid of tweeters (KEFs or otherwise).

many thanks in anticipation.

Jon ;-)

I'm Philip.

I replaced tne ferrofluid on my kef 104/2.
    Remarkably easy.
    Removing tne old ferrofluid with some masking tape run around in the coil gap.

Clean the gap with masking tape and isopropyl alcahol (20% diluted).

Clean coil with cotton buds and iso alchahol again.

Refilling with ferrofluid was a doddle as well as with tne magnetism it goes into tne gap a treet.

Lots of different types and ratings of ferrofluid.
    But if you search the net, should find a site detailing which one to use.
    I found this on a site selling ferrofluids, tnen bought much cheaper off ebay.

The coil assembly was held onto the magnet with double sided sticky tape.
    To seperate, run a knife around and ease off.
    Careful not to insert knife too far and damage coil.

If you damage tne double sided tape, just buy some of wilkos own brand, cut a ring out of that.
    Remove tne old tape and use tne new ring.
    Only neccesary if you damage the old tape as i did.

This was for T33 tweeters.
    No idea if the tweeters in the one’s are similar.

For the kef 104/2 removing and reinstallng tne tweeters was also simple, as kef used push on connectors, so no soldering.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by philv; 26-01-2018 at 00:59.

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    I replaced tne ferrofluid on my kef 104/2.
    Remarkably easy.
    Removing tne old ferrofluid with some masking tape run around in the coil gap.

Clean the gap with masking tape and isopropyl alcahol (20% diluted).

Clean coil with cotton buds and iso alchahol again.

Refilling with ferrofluid was a doddle as well as with tne magnetism it goes into tne gap a treet.

Lots of different types and ratings of ferrofluid.
    But if you search the net, should find a site detailing which one to use.
    I found this on a site selling ferrofluids, tnen bought much cheaper off ebay.

The coil assembly was held onto the magnet with double sided sticky tape.
    To seperate, run a knife around and ease off.
    Careful not to insert knife too far and damage coil.

If you damage tne double sided tape, just buy some of wilkos own brand, cut a ring out of that.
    Remove tne old tape and use tne new ring.
    Only neccesary if you damage the old tape as i did.

This was for T33 tweeters.
    No idea if the tweeters in the one’s are similar.

For the kef 104/2 removing and reinstallng tne tweeters was also simple, as kef used push on connectors, so no soldering.
    Good luck.
    Thanks, Phil - that's very informative and reassuring.

Whilst, on balance, I've decided that my first preference would be to find a KEF enthusiast willing to collect and take ownership in exchange for a small donation to a good cause, I may have a go myself once my current DIY projects are out of the way.

Best

Jon :-)

+ Reply to Thread