+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roon. What do think?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Indeed, and a pi3 runs LMS with ease...
    Yes but that's faffing about and as first said, Roon's beauty is the intergration
    Amazing they are not Spotify friendly yet..
    I don't know the history of Roons business, but why the Tidal exclusivity?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Yes but that's faffing about and as first said, Roon's beauty is the intergration

On the Roon forums the Roon guys mention they would love to do Spotify but Spotify refuses. The guess that Spotify do not wish their uses to be taken away from their front end and the Spotify branding.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    On the Roon forums the Roon guys mention they would love to do Spotify but Spotify refuses. The guess that Spotify do not wish their uses to be taken away from their front end and the Spotify branding.
    Yuk!

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Why is it then that Spotify has played ball with the open source community that writes what is currently termed LMS?
    The recent(ish) service provision changes Spotify made were already well in hand when the changes took effect.

As far as the front end bit goes, the Spotty app on LMS looks nothing like the web based browser control that most users utilise.

I suspect that Spotify play ball with the Squeezebox community precisely because it's an open source community.
    There's no vested interest, other than permitting Spotify subscribers a wider range of access means.
    With Roon there's financial interest, and that may negatively impact current Spotify royalty agreements.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    What's the faff?
    You just redirect the player to another server, which is easily driven by either app on a tablet, or local http:// page using a web browser (which is what I do 99% of the time).
    As for the rest, Roon is a commercial enterprise, is it not?
    Need I say any more?
    Chris

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Why is it then that Spotify has played ball with the open source community that writes what is currently termed LMS?
    The recent(ish) service provision changes Spotify made were already well in hand when the changes took effect.

As far as the front end bit goes, the Spotty app on LMS looks nothing like the web based browser control that most users utilise.

I suspect that Spotify play ball with the Squeezebox community precisely because it's an open source community.
    There's no vested interest, other than permitting Spotify subscribers a wider range of access means.
    With Roon there's financial interest, and that may negatively impact current Spotify royalty agreements.
    Correct
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

What's the faff?
    You just redirect the player to another server, which is easily driven by either app on a tablet, or local http:// page using a web browser (which is what I do 99% of the time).
    As for the rest, Roon is a commercial enterprise, is it not?
    Need I say any more?
    Well a few issues were thrown up with LMS
    One being it only allows 500 items in your favorites from your streaming service which is pants.
    I wrote to LMS and indeed there was no way round it.500 was the limit. My Tidal library would only show up to the letter G
    In LMS...
    Anyway I have used both approaches and can tell you I'd never go back to what I think is a faff
    As I previously said having the meta data and the seamless integration is worth the expense.
    For me it is a different planet to LMS, Rpi route. £90 a year. Blimey in the scheme of Hifi world ... peanuts!

I'm Edward.

Well I never used any LMS/Squeezebox stuff so can't comment. Did Spotify actually allow all of this or was it simply clever people getting around the Spotify SDK in much the same way some apps gets around the iplayer restrictions?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Well I never used any LMS/Squeezebox stuff so can't comment. Did Spotify actually allow all of this or was it simply clever people getting around the Spotify SDK in much the same way some apps gets around the iplayer restrictions?
    Spotify notified one of the key members of the team about the forthcoming changes, and told them the detail of how the service delivery was being changed.
    When change day arrived the Spotty app was already up and running.
    If that doesn't constitute cooperation I don't know what does.
    Chris

I'm Edward.

Cool. I hope Spotify changes their mind and allows Roon incorporation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast