+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player in DA HOUSE!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player in DA HOUSE!

Needed to get a proper 4K Blu-ray player (to match my 4K Sony TV), rather than simply an upscaling one as I had before, so have upgraded this one, which until now has served me well (Sony BDP-S6700):

To this (Sony UBP-X800):

Full details here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/b...ayers/ubp-x800

Bought it from John Lewis for £329, with a 2 year guarantee. I could have got it for less from Sevenoaks (£269), but I wanted the extra year's guarantee. All I can say is WOW, in terms of picture and sound quality with movies, what a difference! The colours are simply stunning... Everything just looks and sounds so much more real

I honestly think that this player could rival the OPPO, for significantly less money, it's *that* good.... I'll also be using it as a CD transport (along with a Beresford Bushmaster II DAC) to play CDs in my downstairs home-cinema system, so it'll be interesting to see if I can hear any difference in terms of sound, using music as a reference, compared with the previous Sony player.

More later!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

that standard sony(6700) is one of the ones ive got earmarked for the boy. his pioneer has given up the ghost.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

It's a brilliant little player, Grant. If you want mine, you can have it for a good price. It's minty, as I only got it last September. PM me if you want to discuss it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's a brilliant little player, Grant. If you want mine, you can have it for a good price. It's minty, as I only got it last September. PM me if you want to discuss it

Marco.
    thought you would be keeping it as backup mate... it is 97 quid new mind so not cheap but cheaper than the pioneer replacement
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The 4K Sony should be a big step up as u have a 4K tv. My bro just bought himself an oled tv
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    thought you would be keeping it as backup mate...
    Could've done, but I'm not big on gear lying around that's not getting used, especially when it could be going to a good home where it'll be appreciated

Yeah, the new Sony player is *really* good, especially with 4K Blu-rays. I think the built-in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X is having a significant impact on things.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Yeah the atmos is astonishing tech. Up to 128 audio channels lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I know, it really does enhance the whole cinematic experience, as does the DTS:X element, as described on the Sony website:

Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    DTS:X can create an unlimited number of audio objects which adapt to your speakers in real time, to get the biggest impact out of every movie soundtrack.
    Never experienced movies at home as good as this in my life... Awesome!!

Marco.
    Main System

Still really enjoying this player. Was up to the wee small hours yesterday watching movies and listening to music, as the experience is just *so* captivating!

I'll comment on the music side in some detail later, as it's quite exceptional for a £300 machine, but in the meantime for those interested, here's short video detailing the features and benefits of the player and its matching amp, which I also use:

It really is a brilliant combo, with a sound and video performance that's able to compete with the best!

Marco.
    Main System

Cool A short review of the Sony/Bushmaster II combo...

Well, having lived with this player now for a few days, aside from it's utterly stunning performance with movies, both in terms of picture quality, and the beguilingly immersive sounds it produces with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, I can now confirm that it's equally as accomplished with 2-channel music (when used with a suitable DAC).

Of course, as the UBP-X800 doesn't have an in-built DAC, then when it's performing audio duties in a 2-channel hi-fi system, with a normal stereo amplifier, it needs to be used in conjunction with a separate DAC, in my case a Beresford Bushmaster II, via the Sony's digital coaxial output. In this instance, the cable used to connect the two was a Klotz MC-5000.

You certainly get the sense that the X800 is a high-end player, designed to deliver a superior audio performance, featuring a frame-and-beam chassis, which offers a rigid structure to help eliminate micro-vibrations, as well as effective electrical shielding, such as shown here:

That combined with a glossy black mid-section, sandwiched between two stippled charcoal-grey metal slabs. makes the entire player not only feel substantial and well-engineered (some 4kg), but unquestionably enables it to deliver quite exceptional sonic performance, when used in this instance, as a standalone CD transport. In summary, the whole package is very well-screwed together and reassuringly solid.

The sound produced, partnered by the superb Beresford Bushmaster II, is filigree-detailed, lifelike, smooth and musically addictive - and crucially, blissfully free from any evidence of 'glare', which in my experience mars much digital equipment at this price level, but not this Sony/Beresford combo. I suspect that Stan's careful voicing of the DAC, and the attention to detail Sony have put into the design of this player, in terms of vibration control and reducing the effects of microphony, have paid dividends, and is responsible for its very accomplished, 'grown up' sound.

Information retrieval is forensic-like, offering pin-point insight into the musical programme, but is achieved naturally and unforced (almost like good vinyl), and delivered with just the right amount of warmth. As such, it promotes extended listening sessions, without fatigue. Midrange information, such as vocals, is delivered clearly and convincingly, and believably real, with female vocals in particular imbued with a lovely natural texture and tone.

Bass frequencies are rock-solid, deep and extended, but also foot-tappingly tuneful, producing a sound that's high on 'boogie factor', when the music demands, whilst underpinning it with the requisite authority, in order that when necessary bass notes can be felt as well as heard. All in all, the Sony/Beresford combo, at under £700, produces a very even-handed, insightful and thoroughly rewarding performance with CD, sounding like considerably more expensive equipment, such is its ability to allow you to 'relax into the music', whilst drawing you right in and forgetting about the hardware.

The Bushmaster II magic...

I've honestly heard inferior sound from some £1500 'high-end' CD players, so for anyone who owns a home-cinema system, and wants not only top-notch video performance and sound with movies (and here the Sony positively excels with 4K Blu-rays), but also to get superb sound from CDs, or who's looking for a quality, cost-effective CD transport to use with an off-board DAC, I can't recommend the UBP-X800 highly enough. It ticks all the boxes, and then some, especially in terms of 'SPPV'.

Factor in too, 4K UHD streaming of YouTube and Netflix content, making 5.1 channel music videos, and movies positively come alive, as well as Blu-rays, and the Sony UBP-X800 is quite a bargain, and comfortably at home acting as a quality source component in any good home-movie or hi-fi system.

Highly recommended then? Abso-bloody-lutely!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast