+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Toshiba SR-370 project

I'm Ian.

Thanks James, the Mission 774 works very well with the Toshiba, there is a really nice balance between them. The Quintet Black is a very nice cartridge for the money. After having the 2M black for some time the Quintet is just as detailed but with a more airy feel to it. Robert " RobbieGong " put it well " you don't really notice it's there ". I think Ortofon held back with it so as to not be compared to closely to the Cadenza Black. Costing less than half the price of the Cadenza it's a bit of a bargain.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    the Mission 774 works very well with the Toshiba, there is a really nice balance between them
    I've been telling people that for years. I bought my 774 around 1980 and it ended up on my SR-370 about fifteen years ago. That combination remains my main deck. It just works superbly!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Thanks James, the Mission 774 works very well with the Toshiba, there is a really nice balance between them. The Quintet Black is a very nice cartridge for the money. After having the 2M black for some time the Quintet is just as detailed but with a more airy feel to it. Robert " RobbieGong " put it well " you don't really notice it's there ". I think Ortofon held back with it so as to not be compared to closely to the Cadenza Black. Costing less than half the price of the Cadenza it's a bit of a bargain.
    Thanks Ian, I have the 2M Black so wondered how the Quintet compared. A review I read today suggested it had better midrange tone and handled top end info with more air as you mentioned. The Cadenza is probably in another league but the Quintet is only a little more expensive than the 2M so good value.

Having spent some time with a Kontrapunkt b I am very impressed with Ortofons MC cartridges and will be going down this route as soon as a good opportunity arises.

I'm Ian.

As a postscript to the project and as I had some veneer left over I have veneered the isolation plinth to match the Toshiba, looks nicer than the vinyl wrap.
    I also made and veneered a platform to mount the tonearm rest as it is too short for the Mission arm to sit safely on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567