+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spendor SP2s

I'm gone.

Perhaps it's a case of be careful what you wish for.
    Changing the surrounds and increasing the bass may sound better, or it may be too much if you have a small room.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Perhaps it's a case of be careful what you wish for.
    Changing the surrounds and increasing the bass may sound better, or it may be too much if you have a small room.
    Very true Jerry, I feel I have enough bass already. I have already been advised by a room acoustic expert that it's much better to have speakers that perform OK in a room rather than to overload the room and try and modify the acoustic structure.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dennis.

IMO to use the deterioration in compliance of a driver surround as a design factor in a system is ethically wrong.

The surround is also used to absorb waves travelling along the cone from the V/C to prevent their reflection back to it, and a hardened one will be less absorbent, thus colouring the mid range with the reflected waves.

Changing bass O/P should be done in the driver/box alignment, and there are several means of doing it..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    IMO to use the deterioration in compliance of a driver surround as a design factor in a system is ethically wrong.

The surround is also used to absorb waves travelling along the cone from the V/C to prevent their reflection back to it, and a hardened one will be less absorbent, thus colouring the mid range with the reflected waves.

Changing bass O/P should be done in the driver/box alignment, and there are several means of doing it..

Pity I can't get these drive units anymore, no one I have contacted will change the rubber surrounds either so I just have to live with them. Good job they still sound very good indeed.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Pity I can't get these drive units anymore, no one I have contacted will change the rubber surrounds either so I just have to live with them. Good job they still sound very good indeed.
    So long as you know that basically your speakers are not Spendor SP2 original factory spec and that they don't sound as they were originally designed to do.

Bigman80 Guest

Well, by this logic, no one's sound "as they left the factory"

I've heard your speakers Jimbo, they were cracking!!

I'm Brian.

So have I , and in James room they sound excellent
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm charles.

As long as Jimbo can live with the fact that they have deteriorated from the original spec then that's OK then. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    As long as Jimbo can live with the fact that they have deteriorated from the original spec then that's OK then. Ignorance is bliss.
    Ah.
    If only everyone's system was as perfect as yours undoubtedly is.
    A hopeless dream, of course.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Everything deteriorates.

Replace the drivers in your speakers every year do you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast