+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Spendor SP2s

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Speakers are generally regarded as having a 'break-in' period.

Surely once break-in has occured, the speakers are no longer at their 'as new' manufacturer's spec? The cones having established break-up patterns within their material structure and the suspension gaining greater compliance. So would the post 'break-in' spec be the aimed for and correct spec?

A comparison would be interesting. New speakers measured straight out of the box, then similar speakers tested after say six months of hard use.
    I have heard a lot of speakers 'break in' at my friends dealership. He has new stuff all the time which I get to hear out of the box as it were and I have heard some dramatic differences from new to 6 months 'break in' especially with a recent pair of YG Hailey speakers which have metal cones. Don't think the cone material changes much but the rubber surround surely does. Then does that stay the same for a period or does it constantly change?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm charles.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I wonder why so many of us have "old, out of spec" speakers? Must be because we're deaf
    The problem with the hardening of the surrounds on many of the old Spendor speakers is a well known one - I'm surprised you're not aware of this. Of course things age but this particular problem is well documented one.Apparently application of brake fluid has been used to good effect - mentioned by DSJR on this forum a number of times. Why don't you do your research before making general statements? It's common sense that many things age and deteriorate - everyone appreciates that - it's just that this hardening problem with old Spendors can be quite pronounced over time.:lol

I'm Grant.

doesn't have to happen though.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    The problem with the hardening of the surrounds on many of the old Spendor speakers is a well known one - I'm surprised you're not aware of this. Of course things age but this particular problem is well documented one.Apparently application of brake fluid has been used to good effect - mentioned by DSJR on this forum a number of times. Why don't you do your research before making general statements? It's common sense that many things age and deteriorate - everyone appreciates that - it's just that this hardening problem with old Spendors can be quite pronounced over time.
    Is it general to say a lot of us have old speakers ? I don't think so,

So, do you change your driver's frequently?

I'm James.

The problem with the hardening of the surrounds on many of the old Spendor speakers is a well known one - I'm surprised you're not aware of this. Of course things age but this particular problem is well documented one.Apparently application of brake fluid has been used to good effect - mentioned by DSJR on this forum a number of times. Why don't you do your research before making general statements? It's common sense that many things age and deteriorate - everyone appreciates that - it's just that this hardening problem with old Spendors can be quite pronounced over time.:lol
    I am fully aware of hardening surrounds on Spendor speakers but it does not affect every speaker they manufactured as this was dependent on their use and storage. I spoke to Spendor concerning brake fluid and they winced and advised very guardedly that this was not something they would recommend. I have owned my Speakers from new for the last 30 years, your presumption is that I am not aware of any issues with them!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am fully aware of hardening surrounds on Spendor speakers but it does not affect every speaker they manufactured as this was dependent on their use and storage. I spoke to Spendor concerning brake fluid and they winced and advised very guardedly that this was not something they would recommend. I have owned my Speakers from new for the last 30 years, your presumption is that I am not aware of any issues with them!
    His presumption also appear to be that yours have hardened and are therefore inferior.

They sound great Jim, and there was no audible sign of hardened surrounds.

I'm James.

His presumption also appear to be that yours have hardened and are therefore inferior.

I really like advice and feedback on this forum as we all do and I appreciate your comments Oli. I would be concerned if there was any physical or audible signs of deterioration with the surrounds but there isn't. I knew of the possibility of hardening of the surround many years ago as a few early SP2 speakers did suffer however I have never seen any myself.

As a consequence I have kept mine in a room with and ambient temperature between 15-20oC and they have never been in direct sunlight or affected by the fire. I actually use heat deflectors when the fire is on!

I'm charles.

Cool

If you read my posts carefully, you'll see I presume nothing. I merely pointed out that there can be an issue and that it can occur over a long period of ownership which means that it may not be noticeable as the bottom end response would tend to GRADUALLY reduce over a long time. So if the speakers are affected, the owner may not even realise the speakers have a problem. With regard to the brake fluid issue, I read it originally on this very forum and was only trying to offer information. If you don't like the advice then simply ignore it. I have no idea if these speakers are affected but they may be. Just pointing out possible issues. edited out
    Last edited by struth; 30-01-2018 at 17:44. Reason: no need for that kind of response.

Bigman80 Guest

If you read my posts carefully, you'll see I presume nothing. I merely pointed out that there can be an issue and that it can occur over a long period of ownership which means that it may not be noticeable as the bottom end response would tend to GRADUALLY reduce over a long time. So if the speakers are affected, the owner may not even realise the speakers have a problem. With regard to the brake fluid issue, I read it originally on this very forum and was only trying to offer information. If you don't like the advice then simply ignore it. I have no idea if these speakers are affected but they may be. Just pointing out possible issues. edited out
    [edited] Oooh. Did someone get a bit spicy? 🤣

Lighten up Charles, no one is acusing you of being wrong about the degradation of materials. Just that in this instance, you seem to be directly assessing Jimbos speakers and you did say they weren't as good as they should be. You also said he was ignorant (which provided bliss).

It's not the point, it's the way you went about making it.

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I really like advice and feedback on this forum as we all do and I appreciate your comments Oli. I would be concerned if there was any physical or audible signs of deterioration with the surrounds but there isn't. I knew of the possibility of hardening of the surround many years ago as a few early SP2 speakers did suffer however I have never seen any myself.

As a consequence I have kept mine in a room with and ambient temperature between 15-20oC and they have never been in direct sunlight or affected by the fire. I actually use heat deflectors when the fire is on!
    I don't believe ambient conditions are a factor - as far as I know, it was the surround compound itself that was a problem and hardened over time - irrespective of any external influence... AGE basically affected the properties of the surround - restricted excursion of said surround and thus changed the basic response and presentation of the speaker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast