+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spendor SP2s

I'm tony.

Jerry yer cruel man....

They are listen all day/non fatiguing delights-they do female voices as well as 57s IMHO.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Jerry yer cruel man....

They are listen all day/non fatiguing delights-they do female voices as well as 57s IMHO.

Yep, certainly non-fatiguing!
    They bore the pants off me, but I can understand others with other priorities enjoying them for what they do well.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What do you use now Jerry?
    MBL 116F.
    But I don't have to go to that much of an extreme, Spendies are just a type of presentation that doesn't appeal to me.

I'm tony.

I will get my pipe and slippers!!!

My good lady adores them to the point she allowed them in HER room...

Makes for a lovely av set up!!

I'm charles.

My newer SP2/3r2's have a more 'modern' presentation yet retain the 'lush' character of the older models. They can be 'pipe and slippers' and they can 'rock' as well - they seem to be happy with all types of music. Spendor have recently launched the new revised Classic range with new bass units. My SP2/3r2 is now called the Classic 2/3. The most interesting is the new Classic 1/2 which I believe replaces the SP1/2r2 - it sports an interesting new cone midrange together with the 8" bass unit. I'd be interested in these but the prices of these Classic Spendors are rocketing - they are now $7795 here in USA without stands. Has anyone heard this new Classic range?

I'm Dennis.

The SP2/2 was thought to have a bass hump a little way up the spectrum which was slightly overblown.

It was recommended that damping the port with foam or straws was applied.

I'm charles.

The tweeters are still available new - £50 each!
    That may well be the case but your SP2's won't be up to spec because of the bass/mid surround hardening issue. It may not bother you that they're not to factory spec but you should be aware of it nevertheless. You probably haven't noticed the reduced bottom end response if you've had them a long time. Obviously ignorance is bliss or buy a new pair (or continue to fool yourself that everything's OK with your old chuffers).

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    That may well be the case but your SP2's won't be up to spec because of the bass/mid surround hardening issue. It may not bother you that they're not to factory spec but you should be aware of it nevertheless. You probably haven't noticed the reduced bottom end response if you've had them a long time. Obviously ignorance is bliss or buy a new pair (or continue to fool yourself that everything's OK with your old chuffers).
    My mid/bass rubber surround has not hardened on my pair of speakers. Not doubt they are not the same specification as new but they sound great still. You haven't mentioned the deterioration in the caps on the crossover yet.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm charles.

My mid/bass rubber surround has not hardened on my pair of speakers. Not doubt they are not the same specification as new but they sound great still. You haven't mentioned the deterioration in the caps on the crossover yet.
    How do you know they haven't hardened? The effect of hardening takes place gradually over a long period of time - the low end response will be gradually reducing over this time period and you will be oblivious to it until you have an A/B demo between your own old speakers and the latest versions which incidentally will not suffer from this as Spendor have addressed the problem in newer versions. The effect of the surrounds hardening on your speakers is far far more noticable than any possible effect of aging caps - that's why I never mentioned the crossover. Glad you enjoy the sound of your speakers - just remember, they're probably compromised in the low end response due to this well know surround problem.

I'm James.

Maybe your right but I have never felt they lacked any bass response, certainly in my small room. They are 30 years old now so I expect they have drifted from their original specification. I believe the rubber cone surrounds can be replaced so this might be worth doing?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast