+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 and SHL5+ differences to vintage BBC derived monitors

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    There is a fair improvement with the Anniversary models and far more than you would expect, perhaps. I have been pleasantly surprised at the numbers of the various Anniversary models I have sold after comparison demos.

The shows are never a good place to listen and compare Hi-Fi of any sort. I rarely hear anything which impresses but if a product looks interesting, I borrow it to listen in my own room.
    thanks dave , perhaps one will get a chance to listen to some and i can compare . certainly the op on pfm was convinced enough to buy
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Dave.

When you can spare some time, you know where I am..

I'm Phil.

thanks dave yes no doubt in 6 months time the upgrade itch will strike again !

Eric Bibb

I'm Eamonn.

Default Harbeth

I've owned SHL5, SHL5 Plus and now the 40th anniversary model and I can't see myself changing for any other brand for the foreseeable future. I was very dubious if the SHL5 Plus could be bettered, but the anniversary model is quite breathtaking. So if you want a pair, be quick as only a limited amount are being made.
    Accuphase C2420 pre P4200 poweramp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Sonos Connect, Innuous ZENith MKIII, RME ADI2, Harbeth 40th anniversary SHL5 Plus

I'm Thiha.

I've owned the HL Monitor MKII and the SHL5.

To my ears the two are quite different. The HK MKII sounds "old school" and was okay for spoken voice, but "dull" for everything else when compared to the SHL5 which I think is better in every area. The Radial woofer in the SHL5 was a significant improvement over the older woofer in the HL MKII. I've heard the SHL5+ quite a few times and think that it solved two of the main gripes I had with the SHL5. One, the bass was tighter and better controlled and second, the occasional sibilence I could hear on some songs of certain artists (e.g. Suzanne Vega and Tanita Tikaram) was cured.

For me though, the only Harbeth I really liked and had no complaints about is the Monitor 30.1 and I would take this over either the SHL5 or the SHL5+ for my system and my room.

I'm Eamonn.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage60 View Post
    I've owned the HL Monitor MKII and the SHL5.

To my ears the two are quite different. The HK MKII sounds "old school" and was okay for spoken voice, but "dull" for everything else when compared to the SHL5 which I think is better in every area. The Radial woofer in the SHL5 was a significant improvement over the older woofer in the HL MKII. I've heard the SHL5+ quite a few times and think that it solved two of the main gripes I had with the SHL5. One, the bass was tighter and better controlled and second, the occasional sibilence I could hear on some songs of certain artists (e.g. Suzanne Vega and Tanita Tikaram) was cured.

For me though, the only Harbeth I really liked and had no complaints about is the Monitor 30.1 and I would take this over either the SHL5 or the SHL5+ for my system and my room.
    Wait till you hear the new 30.2 anniversary model!
    Accuphase C2420 pre P4200 poweramp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Sonos Connect, Innuous ZENith MKIII, RME ADI2, Harbeth 40th anniversary SHL5 Plus

I'm Thiha.

Don’t tempted me!

I'm Phil.

P1050259 by , on Flickr

so got some harbeth shl5plus in feb and put them with my valve pre /class A amp . unfortunately they are near walls but can`t help that . room full of furniture etc , carpets . my i was dissapointed . so dull , the thrax didn`t really work with them as excited a node in the room [ thrax enyo is big bulgarian valve amp] so i am afraid i arranged to trade them in for tannoy eaton legacy which did work and sound incredible in there. i guess they are more damped so they can go nearer walls ?

anyway the dealer was delayed due to various reasons so put them in upper room with little furniture and quite live room . recently had the frugalhorns playing in there with a naim supernait 2 . man , what a combo , real sense of presence. anyway popped on a rotel 965bx cd player [ value 60 quid] 20 quid speaker cables [copper] and the harbs statted singing right away , oh my goodness , what hapened there ?

anyway they are so good with rock music, the riffs just feel plucked and the piano , well ... thats sublime. feels like lang lang getting excited at the end of the rachmaninov no 2 finale . so a big sound . the naim seems to bring a vigour to these things and the live room with plenty of space . now have to decide whether to keep or get rid of and try some audionote or more frugelhorns perhaps

P1050279 by , on Flickr

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12