+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 and SHL5+ differences to vintage BBC derived monitors

I'm Tony.

Default Harbeth SHL5 and SHL5+ differences to vintage BBC derived monitors

Hi,

A bit of a silly question really (as I think I can probably guess the answer) but has anyone upgraded from a vintage speaker like Spendor BC1, Spendor SP1/2, Harbeth HL or Rogers Studio One to either Harbeth SHL5 or 5+ or done any comparisons in recent times?

The reason is I have pair of Rogers Studio Ones which work really well for me (and I prefer to the others listed above which I have also owned over the years) but have never compared them to anything more contemporary. I don't believe there is a Harbeth dealer within striking distance of Bristol for me to do my own comparison, and therefore satisfy my curiosity.

I would expect considerable improvement in dynamics, less ponderous bass, superior more open midrange, less boxy colourations and warmth with a similarly sweet and extended treble.

Having said that, I think the Rogers are really very good for their age considering the bextrene technology they employ.

One last thought - how much of an improvement is the SHL5+ over the 5?

BTW the room is fairly small so listening distance is almost near-field (in other words driver integration needs to be spot on), amplification is a Quad 99 system and none of those factors look set to change. I dislike small speakers so please don't advise the smaller Harbeths, etc!

I'm Dave.

The Rogers is a very good speaker in true BBC tradition, with a full mid band not usual in many modern speakers. i had a customer visiting me with his Rogers, last Autumn.

The Harbeth SHL5+ improves on the venerable Rogers in the areas you suggest and would be a worthwhile upgrade. Of course, the integration is spot on, as you would expect and they do work well in small rooms and near field.

If you fancy a day out, I have the full Harbeth range on demonstration and you can bring along your Rogers to compare.

I'm Tony.

Hi, that sounds like a great plan were it not for the 6 hour round trip!
    My nearest Harbeth dealer appears to be in Guildford which is not all that appealing either.
    I'm guessing even the older SHL5 would be a considerable improvement on the Rogers, even though maybe not quite as good at the SHL5+ in some areas?
    I'm thinking maybe if I decide to go for it I may end up buying second hand, and in the highly unlikely event I don't like them, selling them on.

I'm Rohan.

So, taking this a little further (and not wanting to thread hijack too much), what are the modern alternatives to the BBC style of presentation other than Harbeth?

I'm Phil.

been some interesting discussion re the shl5 and the plus recently on pfm

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/t...ersary.209700/

well worth a read . there are quite a few in s/h ads as folks have been buying the anniversary . me i remain to be convinced its worth the premium over the plus version .

there are several incredibly busy facebook groups for harbeth ... a lot of love out there for the brand . looking forward to hearing more of them at bristol show and one pair just might land here sometime !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

and i have just clicked that in a few weeks you can satisfy your curiosity at the bristol show

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I went to Bristol Sound and Vision in 2015 and heard pretty unconvincing demos in the Spendor, KEF and B&W and rooms. I was surprised but I don't think the venue was great and it looked to me like only B&W had made any attempt to dress the room acoustically (possibly because the demo was being given by their designer rather than a sales person).

But I take your point, I should get myself down there next month and head for the Harbeth room.

I'm Phil.

definately , the harbeth room sounded fantastic last year with hegal 360 insitu and i believe alan will be there so you can ask questions

Eric Bibb

I'm Dave.

There is a fair improvement with the Anniversary models and far more than you would expect, perhaps. I have been pleasantly surprised at the numbers of the various Anniversary models I have sold after comparison demos.

The shows are never a good place to listen and compare Hi-Fi of any sort. I rarely hear anything which impresses but if a product looks interesting, I borrow it to listen in my own room.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    So, taking this a little further (and not wanting to thread hijack too much), what are the modern alternatives to the BBC style of presentation other than Harbeth?
    Graham Audio, and some Spendor speakers like the SP & Classic series.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast