+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aragon 4004 dual mono power amplifier.

I'm Andy.

If Jake ever ties of it, I'd rip his arm off for it

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Macca you should consider this?
    I've got a Krell already, same basic idea and same designer. Don't actually need a powerful amp with the JM Lab speakers, despite appearances they are very easy to drive. Could probably drive them with my 4 watt EL84 SECA although I've not tried. Although must confess was still tempted as the price was very keen. Happily it has found a new owner now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

lordmortlock Guest

First proper listen to this tonight and it’s quite something. I’d expected massive power and control but hadn’t reckoned on the sweetness and light touch it produces when called for.

It’s very very good.

I'm Rohan.

The thing is Jake, it's quite possible that you are listening in pure sweet Class A quite a bit of the time, especially because I'd imagine your speakers to be high sensitivity. Before I sent it to you, I listened to it again after what had been a while unused, and I thought: "Christ, I don't remember it being this good!"

I'm happy that you're happy!

I'm Robert.

Default Preamp

Hi what pre did you use with it as I have one mk2 always found it hard to drive but lovely amp very industrial

I'm Rohan.

Rob, I used my Leema Elements DAC/pre and yes, for a given output level (0-127) it would always need a few clicks more than other power amps for an equivalent level.

lordmortlock Guest

I’m using an eastern electric pre with masses of gain, so can’t say I’ve noticed that here. Switched over to my pass clone buffer pre and it might be a bit TOO clean and transparent. Back in with the valve minimax ...

I'm Robert.

Default Preamp

Thanks guys I’ve got xiang sheng valve pre that’s not shy on output I’m just fearful of dc trickle output with valve pres that may cause damage with ss amps as advised by Krell on the recent 250monos for sale anyone got any advice thanks

I'm Geoff.

Have you ever tried a TVC or AVC pre-amp. No DC potential from those and they can sound superb.

lordmortlock Guest

Time to move this bad boy on. I love it but I’ve gone all integrated, so this and everything else is going.

As per Rohan’s Listing but the fuse holder had become brittle and had a crack in it, so I had a local electrical engineer replace it. The new one is larger than the original and I haven’t got round to drilling a bigger hole, so the fuse holder is just sat inside the unit at the mo.

To reflect this and the fact that this sale is collection only from GL5, as I’ve used the double box for a different sale, this is offered at a bargain £320 firm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast