+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unterminated cable

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I’ve used just the core and the core and shield.
    Mad isn't it, this HiFi lark. Some people love it some don't.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I've used the RG316/u in a number of experimental cables and ultimately I just don't think it's very good as an audio cable.
    I don't like RG316 as the FEP outer insulation along with the solid inner steel core makes the cable too 'springy' to dress properly. I've tried some and didn't find it was any better or worse than most other coaxial cables I've tried.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Indeed, which makes me think, is skin effect an issue when it comes to RF riding on cables?
    Yes, though to compare a cable's susceptability to RFI, one need's to know what the surface transfer impedance (ZT) is for the cable. Rarely quoted by manufacturers as it is difficult to measure, but the IEC recommendation is for it to be no more than 100mOhm/m at 30MHz.

Sometimes cable manufacturers (such as the Swiss cable company Huber & Suhner) will quote a rejection level to external RF in dB for cables having a 50Ohm characteristic impedance and terminated by the same impedance:

20.log(ZT/100) for 1metre length,

though this is somewhat academic since audio cables are terminated with widely differing and different impedances, and it is not at all clear what these impedances are at radio frequencies (> 1MHz).
    Last edited by Barry; 24-01-2018 at 17:12. Reason: correction and addition
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Default Unterminated cable

Interesting Barry.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234